+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Game feels broken - help is needed.

Senior Member NEPHIREM is on a distinguished road NEPHIREM's Avatar

Game feels broken - help is needed.

Hello everyone. I'm having some troubles with this game so I decided to post this here hoping that someone could help me out. So, what's happening is this.

QL has two types of behavior - when it works properly and when it's broken. When it works properly it's alot of fun - I feel in control of my gameplay, it's smooth and responsive and my acc is between 50-60 (I'm an instagib player). On the other hand, when it's broken, game feels slow and unresponsive, sluggish and I struggle to stay above 30 acc. I'm well aware that people have good days and bad days but this is not the case here. When you play this since 2009 and you find your acc going below 25% on dm17 insta it's a clear sign that something is wrong.

When game enters it's broken state nothing works. I cannot hit a guy using a jumppad. Firing a rail down the corridor occupied by 3 enemies produces no hit. I get hit when I'm one good circle jump behind corner - stuff like that. Everything seems "off" - enemies are not moving at constant speed. For example, guy is running to the left - I see his model facing left and his legs moving. But he is not moving at speed he is supposed to, he is moving almost like in slow motion and when I fire a rail he enters a "fast forward" state for a fraction of a second and avoids my rail - matrix Neo style. Hard to explain, it's like game adjusts his position and trigger for that is me firing my railgun. This messed up speed thing hapens quite often when guys are using a jumppad - it looks like gravity is off.

Some more random stuff happens with sound too. Jumppads not producing a sound. Unable to hear guy jumping till the moment he is right next to me - keels should be loud, yes? Everything feels "off" and delayed. I sometimes experience stuff like I press the fire key but my gun didn't fire on time and I get fragged. Then when I respawn my gun fires automatically and I need to wait for it to reload. Stuff like this matters in insta. All of this has caused me to stop playing iCTF because I don't want my broken game to affect my team. It really sucks.

I tried turning on my lagometer when game felt broken. I discovered that almost every time I get railed, railed someone or someone else gets railed in my vicinity a yellow spike appears on the blue line. No matter what my ping is - it happens even with 35 ping. I tried to fight this with cl_autotimenudge 1 and to my surprise it worked! But it worked only for a week or so, now it's random - sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't. I feel no difference with nudge set to 0 or 1. When it's set to 1, blue line turns yellow without spikes but gameplay feels the same - broken.

Sometimes it's broken for half a game. Sometimes it's broken whole day. Totally random. And recently I have started to notice that these problems are most obvious with players that ping 30 or lower - most of them even warp. But since no one complains about it, I guess they warp only on my screen. Eh.

Is there anything I can do on my end? Some cvars maybe? Any help is appreciated. Oh.. And yesterday I started to get red spikes on the green line everytime I died - not massive spikes, more like a vertical line or two...

Anyway, sorry for this wall of text but I really don't know what to do anymore.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Lot of things can be causing this, and I doubt it has anything to do w/ Quake Live itself...

Post your system configuration... (OS, system specs, video card, video card settings, any recent changes made to your system, etc..)

Are your frames ever dropping? Does your game ever become choppy or does it just feel 'sluggish' at times. If it's happening intermittently... it could be a Window's background service or something of that nature... perhaps an input lag related issue, who knows, need more information regarding your problem.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    could be an overheating gpu/cpu u name it.. so many things, but ones for sure, only nudge if your ping goes excessively high in foreign regions.

lorfa this seems to be a case for you! ^^

Senior Member AXxXxO is on a distinguished road AXxXxO's Avatar
    that was happening to me a year ago....every time when i press m1 it lags,especially with rail....i think my problem was with cfg..try back up exec and do the reset ql to default....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downlink View Post
    Add A Killcam Maybe?
    Only available for COD MW3 owners!Coming soon i next update....

Thanks for replies.... Didn't try reset to defaults yet, maybe I'll give it a try.

I'm certain that my PC is not to blame because this is 2nd PC this is happening on. No frame drops - game feels sluggish. Today I experienced pretty huge green spike coming out of bottom green line... It happened twice, not sure what that is about. What happens in-game is actually pretty much the same thing I posted last year, only then it was happening on 60+ pings only - now, my ping doesn't matter at all.

Old post: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...rs-experiences

Anyway, my specs:

Phenom II x4 @3,8Ghz
    16GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    Radeon 7970 Ghz edition
    SSD

Senior Member AXxXxO is on a distinguished road AXxXxO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPHIREM View Post
    Thanks for replies.... Didn't try reset to defaults yet, maybe I'll give it a try.

I'm certain that my PC is not to blame because this is 2nd PC this is happening on. No frame drops - game feels sluggish. Today I experienced pretty huge green spike coming out of bottom green line... It happened twice, not sure what that is about. What happens in-game is actually pretty much the same thing I posted last year, only then it was happening on 60+ pings only - now, my ping doesn't matter at all.

Old post: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...rs-experiences

Anyway, my specs:

Phenom II x4 @3,8Ghz
    16GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    Radeon 7970 Ghz edition
    SSD
    bas mi se frend tuzio sinoc na isti problem al to kad smo igrali wot....kaze svaki put kad pukne ping mu skoci...il je pc ili je net....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downlink View Post
    Add A Killcam Maybe?
    Only available for COD MW3 owners!Coming soon i next update....

*fluttershy1
    i can confirm all this, have the exact problems. in one game i play pretty good, having 50+acc and positive k/d ratio, then the next match, with same teams, no shuffle, i start with 1/20 k/d with 5 percent acc... i mean, i know i am not a very good player, but i also know that i don't play THAT bad.

like nephirem said, it happens randomly on map change, but recently it started to happen in the middle of the match which is really annoying.

it's as if you are stuck some 500 ms in the past and you simply can't keep up with your opponents, they have all the time to aim at you and kill you, also sometimes there is something really weird about the way the game draws your opponents on your screen and the way the game presents their state and movement to you, i can't really explain that very well because of my poor english but something is wrong definately...

and one more thing, during the warmup you can notice that some players are heading toward your spawn point with gauntlets the same moment as you press mouse 1 to force your spawn, it's as if you spawn earlier on the server-side and their clients than in your client (if that makes any sense )

i really love this game but it's becoming very hard to play because of this problems, i hope id software will do something about that.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttershy1 View Post
    i can confirm all this, have the exact problems. in one game i play pretty good, having 50+acc and positive k/d ratio, then the next match, with same teams, no shuffle, i start with 1/20 k/d with 5 percent acc... i mean, i know i am not a very good player, but i also know that i don't play THAT bad.
    well, you're not a robot so you cant perform exactly the same all the time, people play differently - maybe map knowledge is part of it on a different map, also maybe you just took it too lightly - many factors that could flow into this.

Senior Member GoBotz is on a distinguished road GoBotz's Avatar
    I experience this daily. It makes the game unplayable. I don't experience any of these problems in any other game, only QL. Q3 doesnt give these problems.

I find it odd that during open beta when the population of the game was huge this stuff rarely happened. Now that the population has dwindled to nothing... all that's left are the warpers.

It feels like the servers can't handle the bandwidth.

I can go play on my buddies q3 server that he hosts on the same pc he plays on with 70 ping... and it feels smooth and responsive. I play on a "professionally" hosted server in game i paid a sub for....with 30 ping and feels sluggish and unresponsive.... seems odd.

About what flutter said... I actually see players complaining about stuff like that quite often. Something feels wrong, but they don't know what exactly. Yesterday evening I had a close game, it was battle for the first place till the 30 or so frags.. Then, something changed and all of a sudden I was unable to score a frag for a minute and half. Oh well, but yesterday evening game worked like crap anyway.

Today morning, game worked fine. No spikes. I believe that for some reason, game works better in the mornings. Less net traffic maybe? I will test it out this week, I'm off-work so I have time in the mornings..

However, there was one game today when server felt sluggish. Lagometer didn't show anything out of ordinary, but in that game there were two players with 130+ ping. They didn't warp. Can this be related to overall sluggish behaviour? It was like game compensates for their high ping or something like that... When one of them disconnected server was back to normal. Weird.

+ Reply to Thread