+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it evil?

Senior Member MexicanPadre is on a distinguished road

Is it evil?

Is it wrong to exploit bugs/errors before reporting them? I feel as if exploiting map bugs and such is a part of the game, like strafe jumping. My favorite one to exploit was Silence before it was patched, the one where you could get out of the map.
    I FEEL LIKE EXPLOITING SOME RIGHT NOW.
    Last edited by MexicanPadre; 02-07-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    It is evil.

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar
    Evil? I wouldn't put it on the level of torture, but it's definitely not ethical. Remember, in any community you participate with, you not only represent yourself, but the community at large. So when you exploit these bugs, you not only make yourself look bad, but new players will think worse of the Quake community, thus retarding it's growth more than it already is.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 02-07-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    (Am I the only one that thought this would be about the player?)

However, as tM said: It's unethical and hurts the community. (In other games like MMOs, you can get banned for exploiting the bugs)

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    It depends on the nature of the exploit.

Exploiting the spawn system is part of duel. Strafe jumping could have been considered an exploit originally. Quakeworld had/has all kinds of cool tricks that were unexpected bugs, such as the dm6 lg+rj lgdoor glitch. These enriched the game and made it better.

However something like getting somewhere where the other player can't get, have sitting there and winning 1 to 0 makes the game worse.

+ Reply to Thread