+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sample match locations

Junior Member VD is on a distinguished road

Sample match locations

Would it be possible to vary the location of sample matches. I only get a decent ping (50/60) on the Paris server, (80+ on maidenhead, worse on others). For example one month, Maidenhead, Frankfurt, Madrid, next month Paris, Amsterdam, Milan etc etc. Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    They can't just move the server locations at will. It's not that simple.
    To make an analogy, you're essentially telling your family to move to a different location just for the variety. They'd have to move all their furniture and possessions in the process.

EDIT: Oh wait, you're talking about the Sampler servers. (I was thinking you meant 'sample' as in the ones that would be visible in the browser for you. Don't know why, but I was lol) I think the Sampler server is put where it is because it's the 'best' location for the majority of the players in the area.
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 02-07-2013 at 10:52 AM.

That doesn't make sense, correct me if I'm wrong but a pro member can host a private Freezetag (for example) match on any server he/she chooses, therefore the capability is already there. All that needs to be changed is the code that opens up different game modes at different locations, at different times. You make it sound like the ID staff would have to go to the server location with wheel barrows and vans, load up the servers and transport them to a new location.

Quote Originally Posted by VD View Post
    That doesn't make sense, correct me if I'm wrong but a pro member can host a private Freezetag (for example) match on any server he/she chooses, therefore the capability is already there. All that needs to be changed is the code that opens up different game modes at different locations, at different times. You make it sound like the ID staff would have to go to the server location with wheel barrows and vans, load up the servers and transport them to a new location.
    That's why I edited my post.

The Sampler servers are just that: a sampler. They're not needed to be in other reasons for exactly what you said: Pro members can spawn the servers.

Fair enough, although it would be nice to sample the sampler matches at a location with a more user friendly ping.

Quote Originally Posted by VD View Post
    Fair enough, although it would be nice to sample the sampler matches at a location with a more user friendly ping.
    Just because they're not friendly for you doesn't mean that they're not friendly for the majority though. Generally the Samplers are in locations that are the best location for the majority of the people in the geographic vicinity.

I completely understand, totally cool with that, the needs of the many outway the needs of the few and all that. No harm in making a suggestion though, this being the suggestions forum.

+ Reply to Thread