+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's quake live all about?

Junior Member mahdougiee is on a distinguished road

What's quake live all about?

I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing to get into the competitive scene and understand who is good and what good clans are out there.

I come from cod series and played the game competitively for years on top teams. I been playing quake live now for almost a week and a lot the past 3 days.. Game is fun and I feel from the short time I've been playing I fairly comfortable with starting to get competitive.

Who can help me out and answer some questions. Are their money leagues? LAN events? Sponsored teams?

Also.. does quake live work on xfire?

Senior Member xXApathyXx is on a distinguished road
    Pickup games on iirc:
    qlpickup.us
    NATDM.QL
    There's more but I'm too lazy to list them
    Tournaments
    Quakecon
    Dreamhack
    Can't remember any others right now but I'm know there are more
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quake+live+tournaments
    Yes there are leagues and LAN events as well as sponsored teams.
    GL HF =D

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    http://esreality.com/post/2381741/up...e-ql-4-10-feb/
    That's what's on this week, with their respective sites, streams, prizes, starting time (automatically converted to your location) and whatnot. If you want to get into the scene tomorrow you should watch Faceit lvl10 (twitch.net/faceit) and a tdm match (twitch.net/leveluptv)

As you can see it mainly revolves around duel, some tdm and lastly ctf. All other mods are non existent competitively.
    Also most QL duel tourneys are one day cups, not leagues or long lasting ladders. At most those end with a cup final but that's it. On the other hand tdm works with leagues (nations and clans) plus #tdmpickup drafts.

Lan-wise QL's best year was probably 2010. There are lan videos on youtube and twitch. It decayed in 2012 (no iem) and 2013 doesn't look very well (seems like dh dropped it), which is why sponsors left the game for the most part.

Online-wise 2013 is going to be the best one, with action every single day. With the decay of big sponsors what happened is players stepped up so now it is even more active than in the good old days, with shows with live casters and all that, just with less lans.
    Highlights of the week are thursdays and sundays, condensed info on that site every week.

One of the greatest things about QL competition is that lots if not most old school top players still play it, and considering this is by far the most complex fps game out there then games are still entertaining to watch after all these years. A great example is that cooller won a russian lan last week, streamed, with top players and all (russian duelers are among the best ever), just not properly international like lets say quakecon (quakecon for some odd reason has the worst possible coverage anyway).
    Last edited by megaman3; 02-06-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Best suggestion: Stop playing Clan Arena. You'll improve more by playing other gametypes. (Like CTF, TDM, Duel)

Junior Member mahdougiee is on a distinguished road
    thanks for all the info and advice. CA is fun, but there isn't much strategy just a bunch of spam going on. I'll starting dueling and ctfing

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    Real life? Life is real?!

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mahdougiee View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing to get into the competitive scene and understand who is good and what good clans are out there.

I come from cod series and played the game competitively for years on top teams. I been playing quake live now for almost a week and a lot the past 3 days.. Game is fun and I feel from the short time I've been playing I fairly comfortable with starting to get competitive.

Who can help me out and answer some questions. Are their money leagues? LAN events? Sponsored teams?

Also.. does quake live work on xfire?
    Unfortunately you are about 5-10 years too late if you're interested in cash tournaments and sponsorships... This game is on its way out and it's amazing it's still around, but there is still a decent community w/ good competition in all game modes. There still are cash tournaments around, but we're talking maybe hundreds of dollars as opposed to several thousands of dollars.

Everything in Quake Live these days seem to run solely on bragging rights as opposed to tournament rankings. If you're interested in competing in the top quake live tournaments, the truth is that you'll need anywhere from 3-6/hrs a day to practice to compete at the highest level. Many of the top players in this game have been playing it for over 10 years straight.

This game has always been favored for 'duels,' and right now... the duel community is virtually dead, at least in NA it is. Besides that, you won't find a more competitive FPS available today if that's what you're looking for.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    It's about crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentations of their waifus.

+ Reply to Thread