+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's talk about Tier ! Shall we ;)

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    I think you just need to check the player's stats. Time played,frags/death, accuracy are in my opinion quite important.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    IDK why you start with 1200 ELO. IMHO, it's much better to start with 0.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    IDK why you start with 1200 ELO. IMHO, it's much better to start with 0.
    From what I know, when a person beats another person he takes points from that person and adds them to his own point pool. If you started at 0 nobody would get anything for beating you.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Well, by my previous post I meant another counting system as well. IDK how to make it, however. But ELO in it's current state is not fully representative for sure.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    I have never seen an 1100 player that "tends to play 1400+ players and lose a lot and yet destroys all "actual 1100 dueler". Their results against the 1400 players will be a fine indicator of their results against 1100 players.
    I can supply a couple examples if necessary, but don't think it's right to call people out on the forums.

Viewing their QLRanks profile is very revealing... 1150 Elo with the list of top players beaten in the 1500-1600+ range, and 25% overall win rate. Any "actual" 1150 player might beat a 1500 rarely, but not 5 of them in the last 2 weeks. While they've stacked up losses against even 1800 players, dropping a couple points at a time.

I'm not saying this is a big huge problem or screwing the system, but there are corner cases like this around.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    From what I know, when a person beats another person he takes points from that person and adds them to his own point pool. If you started at 0 nobody would get anything for beating you.
    Yep.

The reason you start players at a value like 1200 (1500 is a common number) is that it offers a better granularity of ratings without having to use fractions of an elo.

If the elo had a lower bound of 1, and players started there you'd have a bunch of even very good players stuck down at <50 and you'd really have no idea how strong they were. A lot of games would award very small values like 1,2, or 0.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    I can supply a couple examples if necessary, but don't think it's right to call people out on the forums.

Viewing their QLRanks profile is very revealing... 1150 Elo with the list of top players beaten in the 1500-1600+ range, and 25% overall win rate. Any "actual" 1150 player might beat a 1500 rarely, but not 5 of them in the last 2 weeks. While they've stacked up losses against even 1800 players, dropping a couple points at a time.

I'm not saying this is a big huge problem or screwing the system, but there are corner cases like this around.
    If they're playing against someone 350-400 points ahead of them they will gain about 29 points when they win and lose 3 points when they lose so no they won't remain around 1150 for long if they have a 25% win rate against those players. Against 1800 players they will lose ZERO points from losing and gain 32 when they win.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

*Shahi
    Can I just ask, do the developers even take these threads/ideas, just curious It'd be nice to know if our (some very good) thoughts are being taken into account

+ Reply to Thread