+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Tier ! Shall we ;)

Junior Member Zyteck is on a distinguished road

Let's talk about Tier ! Shall we ;)

Guys i think you have to riconsider the tier of this game . Tier 1 from elo 0 to 900.
    Tier 2 from elo 900 to 1300 . Tier 3 from 1300 to 1700 . Tier 4 form 1700 to 2000+ .
    I'm a tier 4 1200 elo but i play agianst people with 2000 more elo sometimes , and i think this isn't funny for me and either for 2000 elo guy . Tell me what you think please

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    Ignore tiers in duel - they're essentially meaningless. Use QLRanks Elo system and the browser script to match yourself up against close opponents.

Edit - checked your profile, guess you're talking CA not duel. In that case, ignore the other -- QLRanks Elo is borked for CA. It's too hard to compute for team matches. It's better than it used to be, but still doesn't look good. You're T4 in CA, where there's a wide spread of skill ratings. Unfortunately, you're kind of stuck there with the guys who've been playing 15 years. Unless you get yourself dropped to T3, where you can turn on handicap to stay down there a bit longer.

Edit 2 -- over 30% accuracy and over 60% win rate... what are you complaining about exactly?
    Last edited by Dr_Mr_Ed; 02-06-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    I think ELO is crap. As are tiers. Don't pay attention to them.
    Play random people and add those, who's skill is suitable 4 you.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member whodares is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    I think ELO is crap. As are tiers. Don't pay attention to them.
    Play random people and add those, who's skill is suitable 4 you.
    u got it on the button

Junior Member Zyteck is on a distinguished road
    Yeah thx for the replay still a screwed up tier system x) And yes vurum quake needs more player !

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    ^Use the "all populated" server filter (in quakelive.com). At least 2x the servers.

And elo is not crap in duel (it is on ca and tdm though). On duel it is useful for finding someone to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    No, it's not. Since one can play newbies with 1200 ELO and get 1500+ with no effort put. And then he will get destroyed by a guy with <1200 because that guy played with stronger opponents and showed dedication for improving his skills.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    I think I've never played with a 1200 lol.

I know it is not perfect because it is not used for match making so there are people abusing the system, but those are a minority and then are laughed at by players and the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    I wouldn't call the Elo system for duel "crap", but there is room for improvement. There are a solid number of very strong sub-1100 players out there. These guys are decent at duel and tend to play 1400+ players and lose a lot. But when they play against an actual 1100 dueler (decent movement, aim, understands and tries to time items), they'll completely crush them.

It'd be good if the system could accommodate such players, but I don't have a suggestion to how.

On the flip side, I've seen some 1300+ duelers who are downright awful. But they're ranked up because they only play similarly awful 800-level folks and beat them. Not worried about these guys though

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    I wouldn't call the Elo system for duel "crap", but there is room for improvement. There are a solid number of very strong sub-1100 players out there. These guys are decent at duel and tend to play 1400+ players and lose a lot. But when they play against an actual 1100 dueler (decent movement, aim, understands and tries to time items), they'll completely crush them.
    Actually I would believe the Elo system far more than this type of anecdote. Respectfully, if you have problems with the Elo system it's probably because of your own biases and prejudices, freak results, coincidences, etc.

I have never seen an 1100 player that "tends to play 1400+ players and lose a lot and yet destroys all "actual 1100 dueler". Their results against the 1400 players will be a fine indicator of their results against 1100 players.

The ONLY 'flaw' with the Elo system is that so many idiot fools start new accounts on 1200 and this messes up the system a LOT.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

+ Reply to Thread