+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PRO-spawned servers

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post
    Pika is on my list... maybe he/she could tell you if what I do is intrusive
    (he)

While I don't necessarily find it "intrusive", I do slightly dislike it because the odds of me joining a modified server (or non-CTF, for that matter) are very slim as it is. However, generally when I log in, the message doesn't stay visible on the screen, so even though I got the message, it just looks like you hadn't messaged me at all. I'm not sure if that's a script error on your part or because of something I have, but it still occurs.

(I was actually going to mention the visibility portion until I noticed my name got mentioned lol)

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    1. I rarely have below 50 online friends. Imagine everyone having that script enabled, each time I (re)load the page I'd get 50 PMs. With no way to opt out (other than removing spammers from friend list).

2. The script also aims at inviting people when they talk to you (any text, not only "invite"), even though that code doesn't look like working at the moment (I assume the author will fix it and you will start spamming even more after the update).
    This should be highlighted. Promoting the use of a spamming script ends up in 50x more spammers. It's just like email spam: no one cares about one account doing it once a week (even though we know it is spam), but it is completely different when it is 50 of those doing it several times a day (like it will be in the soon future).

And as lam posted, reviewing the script ends up in knowing it is properly spam without having to see it working. That one-man usage alone is against the ToS, even more so promoting the use of it.
    Last edited by megaman3; 02-11-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    This should be highlighted. Promoting the use of a spamming script ends up in 50x more spammers. It's just like email spam: no one cares about one account doing it once a week, but it is completely different when it is 50 of those doing it several times a day.

And as lam posted, reviewing the script ends up in knowing it is properly spam, without having to see it working. That one-man usage alone is against the ToS.
    That is definitely true. While I can tolerate getting invites from *just* one person, if it turned into every server spawner using it, I'd probably remove them from my friends list to avoid it.

There is a time and a place for email spam though -- For example, I get about 5 emails from Amazon a day for their deals and such.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    while its true that spam is annoying.

better to get invites than not since you just have the option to go there, its not like it automatically forces you to go there, maybe change the color of a chat message received from yellow to blue for being invited, then that spam is clear to what it is on site and you wont have to remove anyone nor look at it.

Just to clarify, this is generally what I see when I log in. (I didn't get an invite when I logged in this time though, but it looks exactly the same if I do actually get an invite)

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    oh ?

thats odd, for me it looks the same as if someone messages me, yellow background from the user who hollas at me.

btw.. without trying to invoke any flaming here, im not sure what the point is of showing a picture of seeing friends online with no messages/spam written to show something everyone sees upon login?
    Last edited by danstar; 02-11-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danstar View Post
    oh ?

thats odd, for me it looks the same as if someone messages me, yellow background from the user who hollas at me.

btw.. without trying to invoke any flaming here, im not sure what the point is of showing a picture of seeing friends online with no messages/spam written to show something everyone sees upon login?
    Earlier I mentioned (top of this page) that when RockvilleRideOn uses the auto-invite script that it doesn't usually show the yellow alert for the message -- it just shows what the image shows (Except in that exact instance I didn't get an invite on login)

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar
    What about the invites you can set IN 'START A MATCH'. By the same logic, you all are calling that spam, as well, right?

So QuakeLive staff built in something that breaks ToS?

Now, if someone could recode it so the script only sent invites to non-premium/pro members, that would be a fine script indeed.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 02-20-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

Senior Member whodares is on a distinguished road
    there was a script somewhere that hooked into ql, qladmin, on the forum, where u could type a list of players to get invited and or op them whilst being afk. not too sure if it broke the tos or something, as i seem unable to find it (except no perm to view) on both my acc's at the moment (and ye i sub on one, with pro)

Quote Originally Posted by theMolester View Post
    What about the invites you can set IN 'START A MATCH'. By the same logic, you all are calling that spam, as well, right?

So QuakeLive staff built in something that breaks ToS?
    lol

good call

+ Reply to Thread