+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: PRO-spawned servers

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theMolester View Post
    Am I the only person who believes PRO-spawned servers should be accessible to anyone they want?

What I of course mean to say is, there should be the option in 'Start a Match' to allow standard players to join, without having to invite them. And not just friends.
    Perhaps you missed my attempt at this.

Virtually every Pro subscriber will agree, but QL overlords will think "we can't give any more for free or we're back to losing money again", so my proposal was intentionally made milder. Insect seems to worry about the same thing:

Quote Originally Posted by insect View Post
    If opening pro servers fully is too much, put an additional limit - only 5 standard (not invited) players would be able to join the pro server.
    And that's what my suggestion covers too.

But of course static 5 open slots will be equally nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post
    I don't think you "catch my drift"... With the other script (...) you don't have to type anything... Just enable it (...)
    I don't think you catch my drift.

You suggest installing a script that SPAMS people with games they most probably don't want to play.

And it still needs you to be friends with everyone on the planet!

How can you not see the problem with that?

What if I'm on a Harvester server and some tier 2 noob wants to join? He doesn't even SEE the server (because premium servers are hidden from standard players), not to mention knowledge that he can invite pro subscribers to friends and get invited.

With servers getting standard slots, anyone would see them and be able to join them. Less popular modes (like RR/Har) would see life outside of samplers.

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar
    In my case, I friend people who join my server, or people friend me after having joined my server. That being said, should I run a premium server, it's almost certain they would want to play on my server, so not such a bad idea by Rock. Unfortunately, the script is truly only useful when hosting a premium server.

As a tier 4 player, I wouldn't want a tier 2 player in it. In my experience hosting a tier 4 server, though, it's become too obvious how lame the tiers are. I get many people in my server that are listed as tier 3 who, in my opinion, shouldn't even be that high. I mean, if these people I am referring to are tier 3, then what are tier 1 or even 2? People that just stand in one place and shoot? People in tier 3 do that.

I do, however, like the idea of standard slots on a PRO-spawned server, as a compromise to our suggestion that the servers we spawn be open to all. Begrudgingly, but that's compromise.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    You suggest installing a script that SPAMS people with games they most probably don't want to play.

And it still needs you to be friends with everyone on the planet!
    I don't believe you and I are friends, so how do you know if the script SPAMS you or not, as a matter of fact, the only invite is when you come online.... Again, not knowing anything about the script or how it works is disqualification enough for lambasting me or the script...

I'm not even going to comment on the second part, except to say that having many friends is a good thing pseudo-socially (lol it's online, but still social with PMs and stuff) and to keep the script busy..... Plus it benefits all the friends you have, so the benefit is mutual..
    Last edited by RockvilleRideOn; 02-11-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    That's still spam
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    That's still spam
    megaman3, it's of the utmost importance that you stop replying to my posts at once......

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Is it or isn't it spam using a script that automatically sends a message to everyone that's on your friend list or mail box? That's even a bannable offense you know.

And again, it's not like I have something against you. Problem is every single of your posts and threads has major flaws, which have been noticed by me and others including moderators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    Is it or isn't it spam using a script that automatically sends a message to everyone that's on your friend list or mail box? That's even a bannable offense you know
    It isn't unless it is really destructive to their experience... They have me on their list you know

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theMolester View Post
    In my case, I friend people who join my server, or people friend me after having joined my server. That being said, should I run a premium server, it's almost certain they would want to play on my server, so not such a bad idea by Rock.
    You're lucky then, because I have lots of friends who I don't play with each day. And even if I play with some of them each day, it's TDM and not all of them want to play Harvester or Freeze Tag when I'm in the mood. So you're lucky if you only play one game type and your friend list contains only people sharing those interests.

Another thing is how to get a friend list full of people interested in modes that aren't free. Your answer will probably be: wait few months for a sampler and befriend everyone you see there. Valid strategy, but still nowhere as fast as spawning a server that's immediately visible to all the standard players.

the only invite is when you come online....
    1. I rarely have below 50 online friends. Imagine everyone having that script enabled, each time I (re)load the page I'd get 50 PMs. With no way to opt out (other than removing spammers from friend list).

2. The script also aims at inviting people when they talk to you (any text, not only "invite"), even though that code doesn't look like working at the moment (I assume the author will fix it and you will start spamming even more after the update).

Again, not knowing anything about the script or how it works is disqualification enough for lambasting me or the script...
    I have analyzed script's source on github prior to posting my comment. I wrote some GM scripts myself, I think I'm qualified to talk about one.

it benefits all the friends you have, so the benefit is mutual..
    Except I mostly play on private servers, either clan games or pickups. Either way there are no free spots for any friend. The script doesn't exclude servers with passwords.

Really, this script would only do harm in my case.

And it doesn't bring me any closer to playing quick RR with randoms.

Pika is on my list... maybe he/she could tell you if what I do is intrusive

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Either way there are no free spots for any friend. The script doesn't exclude servers with passwords.
    One would hope those in that server would disable the script.

I have the script, it does work well, but being I'm currently running a standard server, it's not necessary, therefor I have it disabled.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

+ Reply to Thread