+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PRO-spawned servers

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar

PRO-spawned servers

Am I the only person who believes PRO-spawned servers should be accessible to anyone they want?

What I of course mean to say is, there should be the option in 'Start a Match' to allow standard players to join, without having to invite them. And not just friends.

It's frustrating, as a PRO subscriber, to not be able to play what I pay for, simply because the map isn't standard this month. And yes, I understand I am paying for this, as is, but that doesn't make it right. Especially those who just get a premium subscription, what's the point in paying for maps you can't play? That's half your subscription.

Keep public standard/premium servers as they are, even with adverts for standard players. I would even suggest making FFA the only mod available to standard players. But have the option to allow standard players to join PRO-spawned servers, if the server op wishes them to. At the very least if they are, or if by doing so makes it, unranked.

Which brings me to another point. Stop having stats available to standard players. You guys have completely gotten everything, that should or shouldn't be free, backwards.
    Last edited by theMolester; 02-05-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

Senior Member NEPHIREM is on a distinguished road NEPHIREM's Avatar
    I agree. I want my server to be populated. Inviting people can be a real pain in the ass sometimes, especially if they are not on my friend list. First go out of game to accept their friend request,then go back in to invite them.... All that time is better spent playing.

This is quite similar to that "open standard slots instead of invites" suggestion from last year. Something needs to be done about this current system.

Senior Member whodares is on a distinguished road
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/134612

is ur friend for having to go out of game... accept then rejoin invite. can invite without the need to add them to friends list, and can also add friends there. why should one game mode be standard and rest not, and as it happens your favorite mode i presume is indeed ffa..

im against that proposed change simply as its not required. You paid for exactly what you have the ability to invite 5 standard users to your server on your friends list. the above extension allows you to bypass the limitation of the persons being on your friends list, what more can you possibly want..

Member matte is on a distinguished road matte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whodares View Post
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/134612what more can you possibly want..
    if i understand him right he wants that his invites are not strongly connected to his account, that he can assign the invites to the server when he spawns it.

Even the commands
    \addfriend <name>
    \accept <1-9>
    \invite <name>

still have to be typed in and he want that why can get on his server without the need of any of these commands.

but i think the point is why we dont get it is:
    the 5 slots on the server are still active even if you arent there. that way the server could be up for days without one premium or pro player joining, and that would be to much.

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    I agree with the OP.

If opening pro servers fully is too much, put an additional limit - only 5 standard (not invited) players would be able to join the pro server.

Quote Originally Posted by matte View Post
    but i think the point is why we dont get it is:
    the 5 slots on the server are still active even if you arent there. that way the server could be up for days without one premium or pro player joining, and that would be to much.
    One more restriction would solve this - when the last one subscriber leaves the server, it's active only to the match end and then shut down (with a proper message on screen).

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar
    I believe having this option would boost the number of people playing.

I do like the idea of the server shutting down once the last subscriber leaves, but...
    As is, I never leave my server. I do this to keep the trolls in check. They may think I'm not there, but I regularly abort games and kick players, even "friends", when I check in. I'm also sure I've been the reason for the banning of many people by demo'ing them.
    I also of course won't leave to keep the server up on the rare occasion it's empty for more than 20 minutes while it is running.

EDIT: I should say, with the map changes of course, my server now runs empty longer than it stays populated. And I don't think it's run full once since the change, dramatically different from the regular 7v7/8v8 I'm used to seeing. Most of whom were standard players.

I also want to note that this isn't just about SpaceCTF, as I also run Japanese Castles, Spider Crossing, and Beyond Reality. Now people only play one map, generally, and that's Skyward. A fun map, one I would love to have in my rotation. But most people do get tired of playing one map.

I'd also like to have maps like Siberia, Bloodlust, Finnegan's Revenge, and Shining Forces, but those aren't popular enough to keep the server populated on their own. And they never will if you keep rotating the maps. They need to be able to be chosen along side the popular ones. Not to mention other maps that are popular enough, but aren't in the rotation with one another at any given month.

This system of rotating maps to sell the game is as bad as advertisers thinking people click links. People don't don't click these links, mostly they are clicked on by accident. I don't think people are going to accidently buy a subscription. People aren't going to learn to like these maps if they can't play a good game on them.
    Last edited by theMolester; 02-06-2013 at 02:50 AM.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

Member matte is on a distinguished road matte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by insect View Post
    I agree with the OP.
    One more restriction would solve this - when the last one subscriber leaves the server, it's active only to the match end and then shut down (with a proper message on screen).
    a restriction i didn't think of

Senior Member whodares is on a distinguished road
    really abort games gg stat padding ftw, i do not want a non subscriber without at least one pro friend online at the time, joining my servers..

now i know not to join theMolester's servers

what ur basically suggesting is pro users pay for the freeloaders... GG

i think the old 3 invites was fine, and map rotation ye has its drawbacks, but also has its plus points too

the comment about space ctf ... .. just hope not insta ctf boring zzz land... :>

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    the idea is better than many others, assign free invites to your spawned server instead of having to organize it all.

whodares, 3 invites fine? LOL maybe for ca-world yes.

as for molesters server+settings, they're fun.

also whats not been mentioned here, is that spawning servers is made so cheaply that if ur not present it simply dissolves while ur not looking if nobody is on it (it should not be this way to begin with). further more it should also be included that if you need your server for other purposes and cant join it because full, dont wanna or whatever reason, that you give a heads up that the server will shut down at the end of the game (from the main page, not ingame).

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    I have the answer to this. .. I send automatic invites whenever a friend comes online.. http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ipt-for-Admins

+ Reply to Thread