+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Mac] What happened to 'playable'?

*Att1ca

[Mac] What happened to 'playable'?

Hey,

I have played Quake Live on my Mac, in Mountain Lion, in the past with almost no problems at all.
    The mouse would sometimes glitch but that could easily be fixed by tabbing/hitting escape/whatever.

Yesterday, I wanted to reinstall the game and to my surprise the once working chrome plugin isn't working anymore. ('Could not load the Quake Live. Plugin')
    Great, but not that big of a deal, right?
    Just have to use Firefox instead.
    Well, it turns out that Firefox, upon loading, just hangs/almost crashes.
    After quite some time, it then proceeds to notify me that the Quake Live plugin is not 64-bit compatible and that Firefox, therefore, needs to be restarted.
    By now, I'm somewhat annoyed.

So, Firefox restart, new practice game.
    A ~350x350 window in the lower left of my screen pops up, showing exactly one option;
    'Quit'.
    Okay, maybe that's a way to force me to watch the ad, which did not play, regardless of whether I disabled adblock or not, regardless of whether I used Firefox or Safari.

What happened?
    Even though Mac was, as far as I know, in a 'beta'-state, this is outright broken.
    What pisses me off is that there seem to be more people having the exact same problem and their threads are from August 2012.

A friend of mine wanted to start playing quake and I am really not in the mood of walking her trough the compilation of ioQuake/SDL.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Isn't Safari the only supported browser for Mac?

*Att1ca
    Dunno.
    But last time I played, QL was working just fine in chrome.
    Well, after chrome didn't load the plugin at all, I tried Safari, simply because it was there anyway.
    Only after that I installed Firefox.
    The problem was the same on both of them, though. (Small window, 'Quit' as the only option)

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    That 'Quit' screen could be because you don't have the map you want to play on (and it's having a hard time downloading it from the server... which is your own machine when you play on local). Try an actual online server first.

*Att1ca
    After another reinstall it misteriously worked.
    Even though, I still have to wait for an invisible ad before my window resizes itself to a human readable scale. <.<

+ Reply to Thread