+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Gear and Settings.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    You think that's bad? The buttons on mine don't work. It's perma-stuck on "On".
    It would be worse with permanent off state ))
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    BTW, since it's July 2013 now, were there any updates for monitors choice? Particularly interested in ASUS VG278HE substitute.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

*Truelies7
    I want to buy a new computer to play Quake (The only game i play ) and for other stuff . I currently have a Asus K52 i5 and i think when i read the post of Cat , i have to make some adjustement to improve my game . I had a Mouse pad Goliatus ans an Abyssus mouse . Anyone can gime some advice ? Thanks a lot !

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    Well for the other stuff I don't know,but for QL,, im just useing a 5 year old HP with a e5200 cpu @ 2.5,6 gigs cheap memory and onboard sound card.The only thing I did was upgrade to a Corsair 650ps and a MSI GT 640gpu which is also cheap. I did a upgrade from a Ratt7 to ZowieFK mouse(which i will do a review on in a month).And finally a Steelseries 6G keyboard.Its mechanical.. Unless your doing high end stuff for the other stuff,you dont need much for QL.
    Last edited by lowlife1; 07-14-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Yes, you don't need a powerful computer for QL. A decent CPU (to run all the maps at 125FPS), a good monitor and a good mouse and pad are the most important things for Quake specifically.

And Vurun, this page has the latest best gaming monitors: http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/
    There seems to be both a BenQ and an Acer that are 27'' and Lightboostable. The VG278HE is the only one that can do 144Hz, though, but if you Lightboost you won't be using 144Hz anyway.

*tCrown
    Would a warped mousepad and a deathadder with no pads on the bottom effect you much? or does it not matter? Warped mousepad from constantly putting hot food/drinks on it cause it to be bumpy.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tCrown View Post
    Would a warped mousepad and a deathadder with no pads
    By "no pads" I assume you mean "no skates"? That would be about as good as playing with a sandpaper mousepad (I remember... Oh god, do I remember trying to play Brood War with a mouse with no skates). The bumps aren't nearly as bad as the lack of skates, but it will cause inconsistent glide.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    By "no pads" I assume you mean "no skates"? That would be about as good as playing with a sandpaper mousepad (I remember... Oh god, do I remember trying to play Brood War with a mouse with no skates). The bumps aren't nearly as bad as the lack of skates, but it will cause inconsistent glide.
    I'll tell you a long story on this topic.

First I had a qck+ with an wmo 1.1a. I got teflon feet for it which improved things a bit. Over time though the qck got worn. I washed it once and accidentally used some soap that left the surface with some higher friction. Luckily it wore through and was more or less back to normal for a bit.

At some point I switched to a kinzuadder (fantastic mouse), and had teflon corepads for it.

I continued to wash the qck+ with just water on occasion and it seemed to help restore, that is lower the friction on the surface back to a certain point.

Then there was some construction here and my qck+ got saturated with plaster dust. I washed it thoroughly but it was never the same. High friction.

I was strapped for cash so I just looked around for something and luckily I found a fUnc surface 1030. I washed it thoroughly and used the rough side. It was pretty good, but the size of the one I had was rather small, and it had an issue that its static friction was substantially higher than its kinetic friction. It was also inconsistent as parts of it had been more worn than others.

On occasion I would spray it with silicone spray which helped lower the friction in general, but the static/kinetic issue remained. I longed for a pad that was larger and had low static/kinetic friction in a consistent way.

I looked online and found a couple "teflon" pads. I decided rather incorrectly to try the Rude Gameware Fierce Ultra-Slick Steel Mouse Surface. It's a steel pad with a rubber bottom and a supposedly teflon top. It's very smooth and has no apparent surface texture, or rather it's been sanded to the point that it can't be seen or felt. It also came with some teflon strips for mouse feet, so I thought maybe I could use those when my core pads wore out at least.

To my great disappointment the deathadder sensor in the kinzuadder simply would not track on it. I was able to get the Zowie MiCo to track on it if I used only 400 Cpi, but this mouse was not preferable to my kinzuadder. Even stranger was that I tested the surface with the teflon feet provided and found the friction not to be terribly low. It was consistent, but not nearly what I expected from teflon on teflon.

So I went back to using my kinzuadder on the 1030. Then one terrible day my kinzuadder simply quit, in the middle of a ca game when I wasn't even moving the mouse. I still don't know exactly what went wrong with it, but it's kaput. I toughed it out with the MiCo while waiting for a kinzu v2.

I should have gotten the 'pro' version of the kinzu v2 since this one has a rubber backing that I don't like, and even worse is that it came with horrid plastic feet. Still I like the kinzu shape enough to stick with it.

After using it with the 1030 for a bit I tried the steel teflon type pad again, and found that the friction with the 1030 had gotten high to the point that it was the same as the teflon pad. So I switched to it because it was larger and more consistent. After a bit of playing like that I tried the teflon strips provided. I cut them into the shape of the kinzu's mouse feet.

Really I was not impressed by the effect. It _was_ better, but I had certainly experienced lower friction before. This is perplexing because teflon on teflon is supposed to have one of the lowest coefficients of friction available (defeated only by BAM). Whether it really is teflon on teflon and there's some physical effect causing the friction (static electricity?), or if these Rude Gameware guys aren't using real teflon I have no idea.

Anyways I used that for a long while, wishing I had the money for a proper pad and maybe even a new mouse. One day I was messing around and I rubbed the kinzu mouse on the edge of the steel pad. To my amazement the friction was incredibly, unbelievably low on that. It appeared that the steel "teflon" pad and the bottom of the kinzu's smooth plastic were a very low friction match. I ran a couple more tests to make sure, using different parts of the kinzu's plastic to make sure the effect was real.

So a couple weeks ago I removed all the feet from the kinzu v2 including the sticker and made sure it was as clean as possible (paint thinner works wonders). Now running the mouse over the pad I have very, very low friction. I've noticed some wear as the bottom of the mouse sheds its plastic a bit, but whatever. It works, and so far I'm only out ~$60.

*tCrown
    Yes, no skates. Thanks, i'll try to look for new skates and a new mousepad (Like the Qck heavy) because i want a large mousepad. Perhaps at payday look at the Zowie.

Member XPEHOPE3 is on a distinguished road
    Can anyone please describe the usage of Liquid in detail? I wonder, how much one needs to apply for skates like Zowie FK's, how often? How much time does it take to empty a bottle? I'm considering how much bottles do I need to buy.

+ Reply to Thread