+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the game? And then especially FFA

Senior Member pwnstar is on a distinguished road pwnstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    If I were in my Q3 mode (reflex, skill, etc) like in the day, I would absolutely paint the walls with these guys in less than 3 minutes.
    There are still some guys around here who desperately try to prove something to someone by showing off,
    ROFL

Maybe occasional harder match with guys like Yakumo or Med1xzaor Davat or Visje or Trajan or others who at least know what theyre doing.
    Davat sucks lol :P

Senior Member Fireztorm is on a distinguished road
    Its pretty much the same visje

Senior Member visje is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenFooL View Post
    I also remember you had very interesting posts about the whole 'warping player' problem(s). Just wanted to mention that there are still threads about 'warping players', so that is still sort of going on.

Other posters have posted much about the anti-cheat and the whole list of banned players at ESR, etc.

But even though I don't know you, I saw many of your youtube QL escapades and wish you would play again!

Glad to know you still found time to post too.
    My rantings about the netcode were mostly laughed about (except by a few other old-school players that also had a ridiculously low ping), even by very knowledgeable people like Yakumo. But about a half year ago, Weird (another old school fellow Dutch player) posted a more scientifically grounded problem description on esreality. Too bad nothing has been changed (or reverted).

But I think the improvement of anti cheat measurements outweigh netcode fixes :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pwnstar View Post
    Long time no see visje, no, stesamo and his 60% miracle-shaft do not seem to be banned but that particular account at least is long-inactive. There is an anticheat of some kind now and a huge wave of folk were banned, devs have said virtually zero about how it works though which is probably the smarter move.

Also suggest she return to the kitchen as we actually kinda miss you lol.
    Stesamo was dodgy at least, but I think I was one of the few people that really hardly trusted him. Especially since he played very stupid. The aim to brain ratio was extremely unbalanced, even in TDM. But many of my 'friends' did not think so, so I eventually I laid off on it, blaming my general distrust.

I agree that it wise of Devs not saying anything. I remember back in the Q3 days, punkbuster was constantly circumvented by the cheat builders. Punkbuster took remote screenshots and the cheats either send back a black screen or a screen without any cheat evidence. With Q3 being open, and people having the ability to create their own locally hosted servers, cheat developers had enough opportunity to debug and test. The more a hack stayed 'private' (paid for), the least chance Punkbuster could get a hold of a copy and update their algorithms accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLOL View Post
    At the moment, I can see 18 tier 4 FFA servers in EU, among them 6 custom servers with 16 player limit. It's also the only mode alongside duel that's active 24/7 here (at least one server active), other modes tend to die somewhere around 3-4 AM.
    That sounds pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    visje... Welcome back..
    Quote Originally Posted by muckyman View Post
    I still love him aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    Don't plan on returning on a long term basis. Find a game that has a future.
    There is nothing as good as Quake.

Quote Originally Posted by Fi View Post
    I am still making videos. Here is a link to my channel. I do mostly duels now.

My latest FFA stuff is collected in this thread. The map pool is rotated every month with brand new maps. Someone should be setting more records soon enough.
    I secretly knew that, your YT channel is the first channel i've subscribed too. I still see your videos appearing on my YT mainpage. Just wanted to call out your name because I had much appreciation of what you are contributing to the community

Your competitions about beating records sure are tempting.. :P

So visje, care to jump in and pwn again?
    Not quite yet. A more physical requirement is one thing that holds me back.. I need to play on a CRT monitor, and I don't want to pollute my desk with such an ugly beast. If I can't play on 120hz I see stuff twice and everything feels distorted and lagged.

Quote Originally Posted by _entryway_ View Post
    Your girlfriend prohibits you playing a game? Man, get balls please ;D ... no offense
    Haha, no she's protecting me. She knows that when I start, I will get addicted again. The hours I spend playing Quake were insane. So I appreciate it :P

Quote Originally Posted by sixers_ View Post
    Hello visje, just wanted to say when I first started watching your commentaries on FFA matches (maybe about a year ago or more, i dont remember) it made me a much better FFA player. Though now I've been wandering away from FFA because people tend to get mad at the "try hards" timing every item and waiting for quad, etc, and because of the randomness in FFA, but I know that is what makes it fun too ;-)
    Great to hear it helped You should ignore the people complaining, in FFA everything the game allows you to do can be applied without concern. The more annoying the better :-)

Quote Originally Posted by intheway View Post
    Ditto....I win maybe one in 5 or 6 ffa matches. The rest I'm lucky to get 30 frags. But hey, what doesn't kill you just makes you tougher.
    I improved quite a lot in FFA after being a CTF defender for a few years. There you have a quite complicated task of trying to die as few times as possible. I think that TDM and CTF experience help improve the FFA skill. Duel not so much though.

These accidental guys were abundant in 2009 when servers were full of noobs and newbs, but those of a "passing" variety - they were just visitors who played the game for some tiem and then left because it didn't stick with them or they found it to be too difficult. Nowadays the playerbase is more stable, that is its smaller and you happen to find the same guys over and over again - and you know their skill so when X enters the game everyone knows its gonna be short. Or when Y enters, you know theres gonna be some competition.
    That sounds like the last days of Q3 OSP FFA :-(
    Last edited by visje; 02-02-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Junior Member NejTillLivet is on a distinguished road
    Because there are real issues with the netcode that punishes players with about ping 15-35 in some cases.

The sweetspot seems to be around 45 where the game somehow to start forgive you for close misses with hitscan. However below 10 is still probably the best for a number of reasons.

Junior Member sadjester is on a distinguished road
    Tony still plays (mostly tdm these days though), and hangs around in #ffa-clan.

Senior Member Lolzy will become famous soon enough Lolzy's Avatar
    That sounds like the last days of Q3 OSP FFA :-(
    Visje, what did you expect. The game inherits the same flaws and characteristics of its predecessors, so it's running its course like they did. Only now, we're in an accelerated environment thanks to the global web - and multiplayer shooter games tend to have much shorter lifespan that the games of yesteryear.

Frankly if you want to go back to QL, better do it quick. It's not like its going to last forever, you know.
    Q * ]Q[* Q]|[A * QL
    ...and still playing!
    JOIN THE DRUNK CLAN!
    Remember, if you happen to join our clan, you can be drunk during each and every match in QL and GET AWAY WITH IT.
    http://qldrunkclan.proboards.com/

lets C H I L L !
    Visit and ask Doc for your medication.
    http://qlchill.proboards.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    In ql the other weapons started to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by HabeebDaPro View Post
    anywas hope rocket lawnchairs r neffed, becuz they mak me mad n get iolet so no noob can spam nd win like idot

Senior Member trebor111 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by metapsy View Post
    I'm afraid your rantings were really laughable, vCz.

Look at it this way:

Who can take seriously the rant of a self-proclaimed FFA world champion winning 90% of his FFA games in less than 3 minutes with his super low ping but still keep repeating 'the higher ping, the better'?

I'm not here to argue or anything, just saying. I'm well aware of the numerous flaws of this netcode.
    Big slummer glad he left

Senior Member Lolzy will become famous soon enough Lolzy's Avatar
    Ahh Trebor and his wisdom. Where would we be without you?
    Q * ]Q[* Q]|[A * QL
    ...and still playing!
    JOIN THE DRUNK CLAN!
    Remember, if you happen to join our clan, you can be drunk during each and every match in QL and GET AWAY WITH IT.
    http://qldrunkclan.proboards.com/

lets C H I L L !
    Visit and ask Doc for your medication.
    http://qlchill.proboards.com/
    In ql the other weapons started to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by HabeebDaPro View Post
    anywas hope rocket lawnchairs r neffed, becuz they mak me mad n get iolet so no noob can spam nd win like idot

Member unnamedtony is on a distinguished road
    visje!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the game its in the "usual" status,lot of duel cups,some tdm cup,actually we playing tdm nactioncup and the cups from #tdmpickup channel
    got some problems with the voting sistem and the normal/premium map rotation
    normal players playing FFA on not premium server,are forced to play maps decided by the map rotation,cant vote for different maps,this is a bad thing imho,ppl should play every map like in past
    i hope to see you around in quakelive and in IRC,you know where to find us
    unfortunally many of our "PRO" ffa players are inactive,and i miss the nights spent playing ffa with you and all the "TOP TIER" ffa players,this is coz im not playing ffa so much,most of time easy win and ppl accuse me of cheat

FFA is completely different than what it was at the beginning, lets say 1996 with q1 (not qw, q1). Whether knowing that or not what people think of ffa is everyone having a decent chance to win and have fun, but nowadays ffa is 1 or at most 2 players roflstomping the rest in a who stomps the most contest because the game rewards skill way more than any mainstream fps game released in like 10 years.

Think of the usual guy that comes to this forum and says he shouldn't be tier4 but tier3, just discovering quakers start to appear only at tier4 and even then the good ones rarely play public ffa or ca.

well,not completely true,this is coz of the tier sistem
    i remember when playing with visje,stesamo,ipodjunk,medixza,yakumo,trajan,deput ydawg and lot of other GREAT ffa players,every map got a different winner,finishing a match with 4-5-6 players in 2-3 frag difference,that was a great period of quakelive FFA imho,we met every night for challenge each other and have great fun,without much dramas,servers with 16 maxclients,10-12 playing and the others spectating watching the great show.maxplayers 8 and map voting/rotarion ruined FFA a lot imho.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 02-05-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    You can always spawn a standard level server with a size of 16 while enabling map votes, tony. You'll just be limited to the standard map pool; the only difference compared to before would be that the maps are different.

+ Reply to Thread