+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So slow and choppy it's completely unplayable

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Try updating your drivers or even trying older versions (as those often support OpenGL better). Other than that, maybe you could google stuff like "force gpu utilization on program" .
    I am very confident that this will fix your problem.

Edit: I meant the driver update part.

*Stabjack
    I updated my drivers already, duh. Didn't try older versions though, don't fancy trying different versions randomly though.

Your machine is on par with my machine and I get 60-90 fps most of the time.

How choppy is your game? Based on the first post I assumed you meant the 1fps stuttering loop that happens when QL puts you into software emulation mode instead of using your video card.

*Stabjack
    As I said, around 3FPS, totally unplayable. I'm not sure what you mean by 'stuttering loop', but the sound is really stuttery, that's for sure.

*Heplooner
    I also had this problem. I completely reinstalled Quake Live, and that fixed it for me.

*Stabjack
    Ok, tried that, didn't help.

Member YourDead is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabjack View Post
    I have:
    AMD Athlon II X2 255
    1GB RAM
    Radeon HD 2400 Pro

I tried different browsers, reduced the graphic configuration to lowest (it was almost impossible though, the game is so choppy that you can't even go through the menus). The game is slow, sounds are choppy as well, it's completely unplayable. I know this is not a state-of-the-art machine but dang, a game with quake 3 graphics should not be too much for it.
    You only have 1gb of system memory?

Are you running windows XP or windows 7 or something else?

That system memory is very very low for any OS now a days.

Upgrade the system memory to a minimum of at least 4gb.

Windows XP 32bit can only access 4GB max. Windows 7 64 bit can access at least 32 GB.

The best setup for any game NOW A DAYS is Windows 7 (Or 8) 64bit, 4GB MINIUMUM.
    Last edited by YourDead; 02-01-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YourDead View Post
    Windows XP 32bit can only access 2GB max.
    No.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows..._memory_limits

Member YourDead is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    My mistake I meant 4GB for windows XP.(edited)

"How graphics cards and other devices affect memory limits"

"Devices have to map their memory below 4 GB for compatibility with non-PAE-aware Windows releases. Therefore, if the system has 4GB of RAM, some of it is either disabled or is remapped above 4GB by the BIOS. If the memory is remapped, X64 Windows can use this memory. X86 client versions of Windows don’t support physical memory above the 4GB mark, so they can’t access these remapped regions. Any X64 Windows or X86 Server release can."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...its_windows_xp

Another words, 32bit XP has a limit just under 4GB, and if the program needs more then that for graphics
    it wil ltry to map it to video. This will slow any system down.

The main point is, 1GB of memory that the OP has won't cut it anymore.
    Last edited by YourDead; 02-01-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Do you have cg_drawFPS on? What your describing sounds really close to the software emulation problem that arises when QuakeLive can't see or doesn't use your video card.

There is a console command to check what renderer QL is using. I believe it is R_lastvalidrenderer. What do you get as a return when you type this command into the console?

+ Reply to Thread