+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What resolution do you prefer?

*zzbios
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    Maybe moders are up to merge this and this

Very good idea maybe they will thanks

Senior Member MarkusArailias is on a distinguished road
    really i think you guys are living in the past as i have an lcd that 60hz max at 4.5 ns, so i dont use analog input , i use digital hd, ratio 1600X900, now this is set to custom hieght and width 1580x865 , i get 125 fps solid while im moving , i dont use bloom or post processing because this tends to make it like doom 3, i have an nvidia card , so i set this to 16x , i really dont know how you guys figure this , since the monitor really has nothing to do with it , it all in the drivers my freinds, latest drivers , cuda , and physics, has nothing to do with old crt specs , i hope this helps , get rids of the powerhog , get lcd , and hook up that didital output on your vid card you probably have never used.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    LCD does not have refresh rate, unlike CRT, or I'm getting this wrong?
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

*applev
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    LCD does not have refresh rate, unlike CRT, or I'm getting this wrong?
    Every monitor has a refresh rate. But most LCDs have it as low as 60 Hz, because they don't "flicker" like CRTs.

IMO, playing with non-native resolution on an LCD is awful. If possible, use native resolution. IIRC, there is also additional display latency if you play with non-native, because the monitor has to scale the picture.

Senior Member MarkusArailias is on a distinguished road
    i do use native resolution but my cfg says its just a little bit less, must be how the drivers set it. 1600x900 is what my resolution is set at.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    I switch between resolutions quite a bit for the purpose of trying different 'scaling' methods. I switch between 16:9/4:3/5:3. I usually tend to land on 16:9 so my monitor functions at its native resolution (LCD Monitor).

The appropriate resolution definitely depends on ones personal preference, but in modern-day gaming everyone tends to use LCD monitors which implements a good deal if input lag when comparing to a CRT.

If you're playing at any resolution below your lcd monitor's resolution, especially nvidia users, you have to enable display/gpu scaling in your video settings so a lower resolution such as, 800x600, scales to the full size of the monitor and doesn't remain in a tiny box in the center of your screen. Enabling scaling that stretches non-native resolutions to full screen adds input lag which is why I tend to land on 1920x1080 with all scaling disabled (Centered timings for ATI/AMD, GPU/Display no scaling for Nvidia).

I'm surprised no one brought this up... If you're using a CRT monitor, this point is moot, but w/ LCD's, changing your resolution can add or take away input lag. This is the dilemma I tend to deal w/ when deciding a resolution for quake.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

*Hesse
    Great place to ask you a question. I have very cheap but new monitor.

Samsung S22B300 (btw. very poor quality, I don't recommend it)
    It's LED, says it has refresh rate of 60Hz in fullHD, new costs 100euro, so I'm sure it has not 120hz display...

Now, if it has not 120Hz display why the fukk do I get 125fps? I don't know what have I changed, but since few games I started to have 125fps(I've set displaying fps rate in upper right corner of screen). All quality of playing has changed, it's really amazing now, I hit people and get better acc, but how is that possible? I'm sure that it's not good monitor(cheapest 21,5 LED) and as I said it has 60hz in fullHD.

Edit. I dont have 125fps all the time, it's like from 90 to 110 mostly but there are times when its 125fps, quality of gaming has improved but I just don't believe that it's possible.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    fps and hz are different.

fps = pc
    hz = monitor

Best combo is stable 125fps with 120hz (the latter is always stable)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member JDB_ is on a distinguished road JDB_'s Avatar
    I play in browser with 800x600

I like to be able to do various things while in a game (maybe I'm spectating and I want to check facebook).

Tried full screen a few times, seems a bit easier to aim with it but I strafe horrible in it.

*Klonoa
    1280x960 just because

+ Reply to Thread