+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a exceptional player?

*zzbios

What makes a exceptional player?

I have been playing off and on for the last twelve or so years, and have seen many players, but the thing that is hard for me to understand is what makes some exceptional, where they own far away from the mass of players.

Is it their computer, their tactics or natural ability or what , I can't understand why some are so much better than the pack, and in the old days we thought many of these players were cheating or used bots.

Whats your thoughts on the elite player?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    The best players think instead of playing Quake mindlessly.

*zzbios
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post

Excellent point you made.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Maybe but the best players usually do it effortlessly. It's not like you can suddenly turn it all on and be a great player, you make it sound like bad players are lazy.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Well crap. I play on instinct mostly. :P

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    Maybe but the best players usually do it effortlessly. It's not like you can suddenly turn it all on and be a great player, you make it sound like bad players are lazy.
    I can't tell. I still haven't found out how to think while playing.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Well I guess the very best players don't 'play' QL, they work at it. Things like my aim and movement haven't improved much in 12 months. It's been a long time since I started a practice map and spent an hour concentrating on my strafing and RJing. I spark up QL to relax and you can't help learning, but it's mostly by accident
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    A strong memory is very important.

Like flash said, always think when playing, but also remember what happened during the game so that the mental framework can be continually updated. It takes a good memory to adapt to opponents, to recall item timings, shots, positions, enemy health info etc. etc.

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    To make an exceptional player, one has to have superb knowledge and awareness of the purpose of each mod as well as strategies... This part I am above average (according to me haha, ok here come the trolls).... But 2nd, and this is where I fail, needs to be a good player with the weapons and has to not fail in execution..
    Quote Originally Posted by zzbios View Post
    I have been playing off and on for the last twelve or so years, and have seen many players, but the thing that is hard for me to understand is what makes some exceptional, where they own far away from the mass of players.

Is it their computer, their tactics or natural ability or what , I can't understand why some are so much better than the pack, and in the old days we thought many of these players were cheating or used bots.

Whats your thoughts on the elite player?

Senior Member CeeLoGreen is on a distinguished road
    To the OP. You hit the nail on the head. It's everything you listed combined.
    Focus
    Knowledge of maps
    Knowledge of mods
    Practice
    Superb hand eye coordination
    A well tuned machine/ rig
    Instinct
    The time to study the habits and routines that common players fault...Practice!
    A good attitude towards achieving a higher level of play
    The study of their own flaws....again Practice!!

Everything in life starts with your own attitude towards your objective. Practice will get you a good distance. But having your mind set, that you can achieve, and sticking to your plan is what makes you a winner in the long haul. This general rule applies to everything in life. if you always think you will be a mediocre player, then you will always be a mediocre player. *Think WIN, Work to win, and You will BE WIN*

+ Reply to Thread