+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are other #s in item Pickups summary?

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar

What are other #s in item Pickups summary?

Next to the armor/mega in the summary screen at the end of a dual match, you see the # picked up along with another number. What's that other number?

Me:
    RA - 15 - 4.30
    YA - 11 - 23.20
    MH - 5 - 1.16
    Opponent:
    RA - 6 - 2.23
    YA - 16 - 15.63
    MH - 11 - 5.79

I assumed this means I grabbed RA 15 times. So what's the 4.30?

See screenshot -- http://s7.postimage.org/8d1h1esl7/shot0078c.jpg
    Any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from a hacker (to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke)

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    It's the average time between the item's spawn and the item's pickup, if I am not mistaken.

Interesting. So we both left the YAs sitting around half the game
    That sounds about right though. Whenever he was at RA this match, he was usually early, same for me and MH, so those would be lower.

What kind of numbers to proper duelers put up for these values?

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    Interesting. So we both left the YAs sitting around half the game
    That sounds about right though. Whenever he was at RA this match, he was usually early, same for me and MH, so those would be lower.

Generally I tend to see about 5 seconds max for the better duelers , but the YAs tend to vary in time as they're not as important compared to RA and Mega.

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Also its worth noting that really good duelers will sometimes purposefully delay item pickups. The obvious time to do this is to avoid having mega and RA spawn at the same time. Less obviously a good player will delay a pickup if they have a huge stack, for example, they will leave RA up in order to do damage at the opponent's YA pickup and then fall back to the RA after the fight. Finally some players will use an armor as bait in a map like lost world.

I mention these things only because its easy to become laser-focused on running the items and this is detrimental to learning how to duel well. I still get fragged a ton of times trying to take items when I should be trying to do damage on the items and trying to simply note the time the item was taken.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    I wouldn't read too much into these numbers, they depend on a ton of variables. I continue to think of them as a weird addition. Some of the variables include:

The map, the number of armors on the map (so maybe one set of armors are picked up more than another, for example sometimes you see the green at RL/Tele go untouched for a bit on aero), what the armors are, be they green/yellow/red, how +forward the game is, how quickly the players move around the map, and if any item delay tactics were being used.

If you could somehow analyze a gazillion pro games on each map you might be able to see some trend, but without doing this any trend within a reasonable range is highly speculative.

Yeah, OK, I'll just ignore these.

Thinking about this game more, I pretty much had complete control over RA the whole game, but I did delay several times to either try to throw him off or else to get a nice round 0/5 time back. So trying to even make sense of that 4 sec avg is pointless. In a 10 minute game, there's only possibly 23 RAs, 17 MHs to pick up, and we (both pretty sucky duelers) got 21/16, so not bad I guess.

Guess it would be kind of revealing if a major item was really high, with both players letting it sit. But even then you'd see the total # of pickups be low, so it's just superfluous info.

+ Reply to Thread