+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Take your ass whipping

*zzbios

Take your ass whipping

Speaking old school here and never have been myself a great player, take your ass whipping, get owned and be happy better players will play against you, don't whine or complain, learn from your faults in the game or move on to something else.

Quake is the greatest first person shooter game that ever was or ever will be and the original players were rugged and didn"t mind getting a ass whipping, enjoy it and get better.

Your skills and tactics will improve with play.

My rant and rave for the day , Long live Quake

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Agreed. I've tended to notice that the newer players (and the tier 3 players) can't handle losing at all. However, I came into the game about 3 years ago (My 3rd year anniversary of playing is in about a week) and while I got absolutely destroyed for months, I continued playing because I really really really enjoyed the game. People these days (and I *should* apply to this statement as well, but I don't entirely) don't seem to realize that there *are* games where you need skill to win.

Member Or1on is on a distinguished road
    Yes, iron sharpens iron, but if you're thrown to the lions you won't survive or learn a thing. The tier system is OK, but I believe the largest gap in skill is not between tier 1 and tier 3 rather it is inside of tier 4. For this reason a tier 5 should exist. However, I suspect that there are too few players for tier 5 to be convenient. Granted I have no real data on how many players would qualify. Perhaps it's a privilege for the old school players to destroy the tier 4 majority. It's fine the way it is, but it could be better. For instance why would a skill rating 999 be allowed to play with somebody who has less than 100 matches. It just makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Or1on View Post
    Yes, iron sharpens iron, but if you're thrown to the lions you won't survive or learn a thing. The tier system is OK, but I believe the largest gap in skill is not between tier 1 and tier 3 rather it is inside of tier 4. For this reason a tier 5 should exist. However, I suspect that there are too few players for tier 5 to be convenient. Granted I have no real data on how many players would qualify. Perhaps it's a privilege for the old school players to destroy the tier 4 majority. It's fine the way it is, but it could be better. For instance why would a skill rating 999 be allowed to play with somebody who has less than 100 matches. It just makes no sense.
    The tier rating's biggest issue is that there's not enough players for it to accurately work. Additionally, because the players themselves are the ones picking their servers, the skillrating doesn't come into as much play as League of Legends' system would, as they can avoid players that are better than them quite easily. The tier 5 would only be feasible if the other tiers were shortened a ton as well. Currently this is what I see for CTF matches in North America. Adding another tier wouldn't do anything to make this less common.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Or1on View Post
    The funny thing is high skilled and top players simply don't play on public servers, because they play pickups (irc organized matches), clan matches and among themselves (duel for example, using qlranks). Tier6 simply play between themselves using their own criteria instead of ql's match making, so they aren't an issue.

Problem is tier5 players do play on pub servers and pub stomp whether they want to or not (me for example). I think there are more than enough players to have a tier5 on ca only so that's a worth a shot, leaving ffa, duel and all other mods with just 4 tiers while duel, tdm and ctf top players regulate it themselves as said on the first paragraph.
    Last edited by megaman3; 01-25-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    The funny thing is high skilled and top players simply don't play on public servers, because they play pickups (irc organized matches), clan matches and among themselves (duel for example, using qlranks). Tier6 simply play between themselves using their own criteria instead of ql's match making, so they aren't an issue.

Problem is tier5 players do play on pub servers and pub stomp whether they want to or not (me for example). I think there are more than enough players to have a tier5 on ca only so that's a worth a shot, leaving ffa, duel and all other mods with just 4 tiers while duel, tdm and ctf top players regulate it themselves as said on the first paragraph.
    Agreed. For CA it's probably not a big issue, but for any other gametype it'd just be completely removing all higher level gameplay from it. The issue that most players don't realize is that if you play a gametype exclusively (Like me for CTF) then if there's no games to play, you're simply screwed. I do occasionally play the samplers and occasionally duel with friends, but more often than not I'll use my other account to play the other gametypes.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Hail Quake!
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Junior Member VinOptimax is on a distinguished road
    As a tier 3/4 CA player, the only reason I don't like it when I move to tier 4 is that quite often I get people moaning at me. I like to think that I'm a reasonable player, always try to help the team, and I'm keen to improve, but the fact is in tier 4 games I'll generally be lower skilled than the other players there, and some people really seem to take offence to that. It's a shame as I generally prefer the higher skill level and better teamwork in tier 4, and as I said I am looking to improve, and I think tier 4 would be the best place for me to do that now as it provides a much better challenge.

*V1mes
    ^^

Same here.
    Though having said that, i'm finding the transition to tier 3 to tier 4 extremely frustrating... but yeah totally agree with Vin0ptimax

*SniperScop3d
    I find that playing other FPS games after quake is much easier as far as aim and movement goes. I think quake players can adapt and get better at other games faster than most because we are always thinking about position, weapon choice, aim, timing and other factors.

Some of the most popular modern shooter games get very boring and slow to me compared to quake. Kids and new comers don't want to spend 3 months getting owned before they are decent, they want instant gratification and easy modes.

+ Reply to Thread