+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: QLPP16 Site Update - January 22, 2013

Junior Member OP is on a distinguished road
    Hopefully ID reads my post. I doubt they will respond though.

First off I want to say how much I appreciate you guys making Quake Live F2P. I've always been a huge fan of Quake ever since my first game in middle school. However, I have a problem with Quake.

Problem:
    My problem is the huge FPS drops in certain maps like Asylum. I have a decent graphics card (Radeon 6770). However I get some pretty bad FPS drops. I can run most games on high. (Leauge of Legends, Path of Exile, Skyrim, Battlefield 3,World of Warcraft, etc). Quake shouldn't be that graphically demanding, should it? I mean I can handle a little FPS drop in most games, but Quake is different since the physics are tied with FPS.

Solution: Add more optimizations to the game - Flushing the graphics card, Parallel Processing, etc. (I don't know if they're implemented, but if they aren't you should consider it..

Another thing is low playerbase... Not generating enough money for advertising?

Solution:
    I think there should be a micro transaction shop on the website where players can buy things in-game instead of subscribing for a year. Here's a few things we players could buy

Points could be 1/10 in USD. Note these prices could very well be better I am just making an example.

1 point would be .10$ USD.

- Special emotions (5 points each .50$)
    - Colored weapons (10 points each or 1$)
    - Character Skins ( 10 points each or 1$ ) - Some could sparkle or burst into flames when attacked.
    - Name change (30 points or 3$) - Idk why this isn't already available
    - Create a clan (50 points or 4$)
    - Design a map with a dev (350$)

Players could also earn points (5?) by referring new players. (of course they shouldn't get credited unless the person they recruited plays at least 10 hours)

This would allow all players to access all the maps. You could still keep the pro subscription so players can get extra stuff.

Pro:
    - Spawn their own server.
    - 2 name changes.
    - Create Clans
    - Access to all emotions
    - etc.

It's better to make a little money off of everyone than a lot off one person.

I don't know... I was bored so I decided to write this lol

Edit:

Game Changes
    Resolved an issue with the in-game ad system that was causing a delay on join.
    Resolved an issue where players could switch teams when the imbalance would be created after the switch.
    Resolved an issue where clients were being sent extraneous information during Duel matches.
    Instagib demos generated by the AutoAction feature are now prefixed with an "i" before the game type abbreviation.

Seriously 1 month and that's all that you've done? C'mon ID you can do better than that.
    Last edited by OP; 01-23-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OP View Post
    Edit:

Game Changes
    Resolved an issue with the in-game ad system that was causing a delay on join.
    Resolved an issue where players could switch teams when the imbalance would be created after the switch.
    Resolved an issue where clients were being sent extraneous information during Duel matches.
    Instagib demos generated by the AutoAction feature are now prefixed with an "i" before the game type abbreviation.

Seriously 1 month and that's all that you've done? C'mon ID you can do better than that.
    It's 2 people, what do you expect?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OP View Post
    but Quake is different since the physics are tied with FPS.
    No. They were in (unmodded) Q3 but they aren't in QL.

*hardride
    How about some love for osX?
    Main Problems:
    - Full screen only works in 800x600 resolution.
    - Lots of random crashes. Happens about every 30 mins. I have latest OS with latest mac book pro.

Junior Member Tabaco is on a distinguished road
    They're just 2 people, well get more devs, that "It's better to make a little money off of everyone than a lot off one person." it's an amazing idea. And there's probably TONS of people that play QL that would do voluntary work. But these admins don't care about QL they're just waiting for the last buck to come and let the game die by itself.

OP gave some awesome ideas, like this community has given many more, but NO, they do not listen, and if they do, it's idiotic stuff like a map.
    People have been asking for server custom names, for about 6 months? (probably more). YES it has difficulties, but then the community gave ideas to correct them, like if add a language filter, and if it's bypassed then take off the ability for him to name servers, and that's something that isn't hard to mod.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    New devs seems extremely unlikely at this stage of QL's lifecycle. Making changes / fixes to a live game isn't an easy process. You have to be very careful not to unbalance things or introduce unexpected knock on effects. Extensive play testing needs to be carried out for even quite minor changes.

It is completely true to say that the changes you see in an update are not the only changes they're working on. Some things take a while to go live.

New maps are THE most requested item. Not the same map obviously That would be too easy. But requests for Q2 maps are right up there.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabaco View Post
    People have been asking for server custom names, for about 6 months? (probably more). YES it has difficulties, but then the community gave ideas to correct them, like if add a language filter, and if it's bypassed then take off the ability for him to name servers, and that's something that isn't hard to mod.
    Here....is the answer if you missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SyncError View Post
    I'll go ahead and be blunt and add that besides there being no ETA, we would need to complete our work and begin major testing before we could promise such a feature. Our team has decided that we do wish to extend the ability to customize server names to our Pro users, and are taking steps to make it possible, but beyond that nothing can be said at this point.

While this change sounds simple and straightforward, it is by no means just a matter of changing a bit of html as suggested by some. Server name's in some situations have more importance within our system than simply how the server is displayed in the match browser.

That said, we realize that many Pro users are looking forward to the feature, and we would like to do our best to fulfill that request!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Junior Member w4rmup is on a distinguished road
    wow...cpm1a! i loved this map back in 2002. thx id

Junior Member piripi_tok is on a distinguished road
    i am so happy to see both "new" maps ... i played many many matches on cpm3a
    xD tons of cool memorys come back.

+ Reply to Thread