+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Please please please stop uptiering

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    Easy solution now isn't there... It sends 300 volts of electricity through my brain (that's how shocking it really is) that nobody has seen this... Have all the t4 elitists friend each other and make their own private game.... With a password... And tell none of them to tell me what it is under any circumstances...

Sources: I'M AN UPTIERER...
    Last edited by RockvilleRideOn; 02-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Senior Member Shelby is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post
    Easy solution now isn't there... It sends 300 volts of electricity through my brain (that's how shocking it really is) that nobody has seen this... Have all the t4 elitists friend each other and make their own private game.... With a password... And tell none of them to tell me what it is under any circumstances...

Thanks for proving why this is needed. Why can this guy join up and troll the t4 games whenever he pleases?
    A t1 player in a t4 server destroys the game almost as much as a t4 player in a t1 server would.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post

Heh Rock, I saw you on a server I didn't think you were defensive or hiding like they said. You even had a very high rail accuracy in those games.

Definitely seemed like a weaker player but there's nothing special or wrong about that.

What was really strange is that sometimes you would just mess around. Like when we were on Evolution, a bunch of rounds you just stayed bouncing up an down on the jump pad, basically just throwing the game (very easy for me to shoot :-P). There were other examples like this but I can't remember what they were now. Despite this your team still managed to win.

The other strange thing I noticed is that people get overly upset at you. It has to be the name, because similar behavior from other players does not incur the same flak. I've always found it fascinating the effect a name can have on how other players see you.

I remember aliasing in quakeworld FFAs, and with one name everyone would get furious at me for winning and insult me as much as they could (I always kept silent). With another name they'd be like wow this guy is really good and they'd be really kind.

I tried to formulate the way that I saw other nicknames but the task is rather difficult. I suspect that "RockVilleRideOn" comes off as large and obnoxious in so far as the split second, "corner of the eye" sort of assimilation of names that goes on in FPS games.

Who knows though really. How nicknames get interpreted is a strange psychological phenomenon.

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Who knows though really. How nicknames get interpreted is a strange psychological phenomenon.
    http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/t...nsit/index.asp

I think perhaps this is the only way to interpret it...

and "Rock" and "Ville" are not separate words....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockville,_Maryland
    Last edited by RockvilleRideOn; 02-03-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    rename to ScarfaceFranckRibery!

Junior Member dkm is on a distinguished road
    In short, at least for duel, implement a working match making system based on elo scores or something. Pleeeeease.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dkm View Post
    In short, at least for duel, implement a working match making system based on elo scores or something. Pleeeeease.
    Not needed. Literally every single duel player uses www.qlranks.com to do manual matchmaking (similar elo = play), whether checking elos on the website or using the greasemonkey script that's on the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Junior Member LizTheKid is on a distinguished road
    F1 to this idea. Only last night I was in a tier 3 CA match ruined by someone having his first game. He scored only 1 point during the whole match.

That said, I do have a very nub question... I can see what tier I am in my stats, but what is this skill rating some of you are talking about? Are they both the same? If not, where do I see my all rating?

Thanks

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LizTheKid View Post
    I can see what tier I am in my stats, but what is this skill rating some of you are talking about? Are they both the same? If not, where do I see my all rating?
    Skillrating is one of the values you see when you type \serverinfo

If you are on a server alone, that number is your skillrating number for that particular gametype.

Skillrating numbers are related to tiers. For example >100 is usually "gold tier" for non-duel gametypes. Where tier 4 starts I am not sure, however some people who watch these numbers more carefully might know. I've heard 80 before, and that sounds about right.

For duel the QL rating system is a bit different, and this results in unusual SR numbers. I really have no idea what number corresponds to what tier there, but I wouldn't give it much credit as it behaves rather oddly (it is possible to gain points by losing, and lose points by winning). Better to use qlranks for duel.

It is important to have realistic expectations of any ranking system, and take what they say with a grain of salt. The problem in general is not an easy one as skill depends on many factors and there tends to be a large error margin.

Junior Member LizTheKid is on a distinguished road
    Great thanks for the explanation Lorfa. Appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread