+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My QuakeLive Analysis Blog

Member XpArTy is on a distinguished road
    A possible solution to a team committing mass suicide to prevent the cap would be to not render insta-death situations as death, but as a 'forfeit' of sorts. Say the last person on the defending team jumps off a cliff, the attacking team has a chance, under a time limit, of course, to complete the cap with no defenders remaining, make a mistake and no elimination OR cap bonus.

To put this as a scenario, say you have a match on Skyward. The last defender goes seppuku, and the flag runner is left with some 20 seconds to complete the cap, which is entirely doable (the time limit here is purely for the purposes of having a time limit at all, I'm aware it's not exactly balanced), as there is no self-damage and you are free to RJ to your heart's content. However, should the time limit run out, or the poor sod decides to RJ a launch pad and overshoots a landing, then his team is punished for a botched run, not the defending team rewarded for a mass suicide. Have the attacking team eliminate the defenders, and the round simply ends there and then. Have the flag go into the FoD/Space/whatever, rounds ends there.

Think of it as what CS had on its de_ prefix maps. Once the bomb has been planted, it is up to the counter terrorists to disarm it, regardless of the terrorists being there to pose an obstacle or not. Can't find the bomb in time, tough, you had your chance.

With this, the scores are open to a bit of variety, with a lesser chance of foulplay. And the time limits under which to make the cap with no defenders could be map-specific too; after seeing how different Infected was to RR, I'm certain this can be implemented to A&D. Something like this, in my opinion would actually encourage both teams to aim to achieve their respective objectives, and if little Timmy decides to +back/strafe right into the MH pit on Fluorescent, then tough luck, an opportunity wasted.

I'm interested to hear what the people who actually do play this gametype have to say about it, I played it a few times and enjoyed it, but flag games aren't to my tastes, exactly. Hope that wall of text actually makes sense to anyone other than me. =)

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by XpArTy View Post
    A possible solution to a team committing mass suicide to prevent the cap would be to not render insta-death situations as death, but as a 'forfeit' of sorts. Say the last person on the defending team jumps off a cliff, the attacking team has a chance, under a time limit, of course, to complete the cap with no defenders remaining, make a mistake and no elimination OR cap bonus.

To put this as a scenario, say you have a match on Skyward. The last defender goes seppuku, and the flag runner is left with some 20 seconds to complete the cap, which is entirely doable (the time limit here is purely for the purposes of having a time limit at all, I'm aware it's not exactly balanced), as there is no self-damage and you are free to RJ to your heart's content. However, should the time limit run out, or the poor sod decides to RJ a launch pad and overshoots a landing, then his team is punished for a botched run, not the defending team rewarded for a mass suicide. Have the attacking team eliminate the defenders, and the round simply ends there and then. Have the flag go into the FoD/Space/whatever, rounds ends there.

Think of it as what CS had on its de_ prefix maps. Once the bomb has been planted, it is up to the counter terrorists to disarm it, regardless of the terrorists being there to pose an obstacle or not. Can't find the bomb in time, tough, you had your chance.

With this, the scores are open to a bit of variety, with a lesser chance of foulplay. And the time limits under which to make the cap with no defenders could be map-specific too; after seeing how different Infected was to RR, I'm certain this can be implemented to A&D. Something like this, in my opinion would actually encourage both teams to aim to achieve their respective objectives, and if little Timmy decides to +back/strafe right into the MH pit on Fluorescent, then tough luck, an opportunity wasted.

I'm interested to hear what the people who actually do play this gametype have to say about it, I played it a few times and enjoyed it, but flag games aren't to my tastes, exactly. Hope that wall of text actually makes sense to anyone other than me. =)
    This is pure gold, even though I don't have the power to do this. .. +1... maybe 5 seconds from the time of suicide for each map... seems reasonable to me.. nice post altogether. I will cite this post in my next entries
    Last edited by RockvilleRideOn; 02-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar

I actually really like this 'solution'. I'll try to forward it to the devs.

It would completely remove the surrendering option for the defenders.

Senior Member xXApathyXx is on a distinguished road

I like this idea

Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    I actually really like this 'solution'. I'll try to forward it to the devs.

It would completely remove the surrendering option for the defenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post
    This is pure gold, even though I don't have the power to do this. .. +1... maybe 5 seconds from the time of suicide for each map... seems reasonable to me.. nice post altogether. I will cite this post in my next entries
    Pika and Rocky agree on something.... O_o

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXApathyXx View Post
    Pika and Rocky agree on something.... O_o
    I thought the same thing earlier O.o

+ Reply to Thread