+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mac issues

Member RaTB is on a distinguished road

Mac issues

Okey, so i know the issues will not be fixed anytime soon and if you really want to enjoy QL you`ll need a PC.

But still i just have to ask if someone has any success in avoiding the frequent crashes? Just now i was enjoying a competitive and fun game were people had about the same skill. Suddenly the game crashes and im out of the game. Needless to say this is frustrating.

And before anyone says install Windows you should know that im a grown man with a unhealthy fear of bad command or username. I not about to play around to much with things i would have no idea how to fix if something went wrong.

The rest of the mac issues i can live with since im not any good at QL and never will be. But you dont have to have godlike skills to enjoy QL, at least if it stops crashing.

Junior Member hypoluxa is on a distinguished road
    What web browser are you using?

I have been running QL on my Macbook Pro for a year plus now. Crashes still do occur on my end, but noticed a huge improvement by switching browsers.

I started off running QL in Chrome and switched to Firefox (it was mentioned somewhere on these boards about QL being more stable in FF). I play pretty regularly, and crashes occur 5 - 6 times a month.

Hope this helps!

Senior Member SquirrlWrangler is on a distinguished road SquirrlWrangler's Avatar
    I get about the same amount of crashes in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. I normally use Safari. I seem to get fewer crashes if I restart Safari frequently. However, I haven't taken the time to actually measure this so it could just be a placebo effect.

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    I'll be brutal.. QL runs like crap in OSX.. It always has.. It's still listed as being in "beta" after 2 years.. The cure...

Bootcamp a Windows or Linux partition.. Because You can do this on your mac.

Oh.. And it runs fantastically swell in Ubuntu Linux.. Which is a free OS that runs very well bootcamped on your mac.(It runs much better then Windows)

Ubuntu Apple users forum here
    Last edited by swampy; 01-21-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

First of all, thanks to all of you for taking the time to help out! :-)

I use Safari, ive tried Chrome but that doesn't work at all. For some reason i thought Firefox did not work at all so i didn't try. I think i read it somewhere but obviously i got it wrong. I shall try Firefox, having crashes only 4-5 times would be lovely. Currently i have 2-4 crashes on a two hour QL session. Frustrating so say the least. Two times the whole machine freezes up and i need to restart it.

Installing windows would be a good solution, but i do not have the know-how unfortunately. I do know there are good guides for doing it but my fear is something goes wrong. Then i have no way of fixing it.

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaTB View Post
    First of all, thanks to all of you for taking the time to help out! :-)

I use Safari, ive tried Chrome but that doesn't work at all. For some reason i thought Firefox did not work at all so i didn't try. I think i read it somewhere but obviously i got it wrong. I shall try Firefox, having crashes only 4-5 times would be lovely. Currently i have 2-4 crashes on a two hour QL session. Frustrating so say the least. Two times the whole machine freezes up and i need to restart it.

Installing windows would be a good solution, but i do not have the know-how unfortunately. I do know there are good guides for doing it but my fear is something goes wrong. Then i have no way of fixing it.
    Actually.. If you find an old Legal copy of XP (garage sale, craigs list, etc) bootcamp installer guides you through it.. It's actually a very easy install. And if the XP partition picks up any Windows nasties.. IT will not affect the OSX side. You can safely and easily delete the XP partition.. No muss, no fuss.
    drunk clan

Like installing any other software? I was under the impression you had to make a partition for windows and other difficult sounding operations?

But..maybe it is doable if i find an old XP disc.

Like installing any other software? I was under the impression you had to make a partition for windows and other difficult sounding operations?

But..maybe it is doable if i find an old XP disc.

The bootcamp installer makes the partition. You would not need a big one.. 10 gigs will run XP + Quake Live and leave you room.

Apple made installing a Windows partition super easy.. If you decide to do it.. You can reach me at my clan board (click drunk clan in my siggy) and I'll give you any help I can.. You'll need XP with service pack 2.

The Quake Live benefits for doing this are nice.. You'll run QL at up to 125 FPS not capped at 80 like OSX, Very very few browser crashes, if at all.

You can run Quake Live Prism, Quake Live Demo Tools, and Wolfcam for recording demos..

It's just a shame that after all this time that Quake Live has not brought the game up to speed for OSX..

At least they are honest enough to label it as "Beta" for OSX.
    Last edited by swampy; 01-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    drunk clan

And who says the QL community are not friendly?

Thanks Swampy!

Just a quick question if you don't mind, i saw this youtube video of how to do it and it seemed pretty straight forward. Only one thing was a bit puzzling. At the end he installed boot camp from his mac-cd. My did not come with one...how to handle this?

Btw...tried to install Firefox. That did not turn out well. It crashed the very first time i tried it and did not perform well for me at least.

Propably have to stay with safari for now until i find myself a copy of xp.

And who says the QL community are not friendly?

Thanks Swampy!

Just a quick question if you don't mind, i saw this youtube video of how to do it and it seemed pretty straight forward. Only one thing was a bit puzzling. At the end he installed boot camp from his mac-cd. My did not come with one...how to handle this?

Btw...tried to install Firefox. That did not turn out well. It crashed the very first time i tried it and did not perform well for me at least.

Propably have to stay with safari for now until i find myself a copy of xp.
    bootcamp is already installed. I think what you saw was the installation of drivers. (they are on your OSX dvd)

Boot Camp Assistant, which is installed in /Applications/Utilities/.

A blank CD or USB storage device to create Windows Boot Camp Support Software (drivers) installer media. You can also create media that contains an ISO image of Windows and the drivers.

You can actually skip this step most of the time if you are able to go on line after Windows install.

Just go to the manufactures site of your audio and video card and download up to date drivers.

It's pretty easy.. Go here to read about set up.
    Last edited by swampy; 01-24-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    drunk clan

+ Reply to Thread