+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: CRT screens best?

Senior Member IonicAftershock is on a distinguished road
    Hello julios,

Oh nice! Haha, I wouldn't have guessed we had similar monitors...cool!

Ahhh I see. That is interesting because I actually got mine on ebay and I was able to get a good deal on one (someone was selling many of them) because, if I remember right, he already was selling the others for what he wanted and he just wanted to get rid of that one. There is some wear on the front of the case, but it isn't too bad. The screen is fine except for a small black line going horizontally across the upper portion of the screen at a higher Hertz. I don't always notice it, just mainly if I am on a webpage and there is a white background.

It is heavy though! Haha. One thing that I noticed was how nice the back of the monitor is. The case isn't boxy, but sleek and curves to the back. I paid $85 for it, I thought that was a good deal. What do you think?

Also, I play at 1024 x 768 @ 120Hz. This monitor is hooked up as an external monitor.

copydaaigoedou, I hope these two monitors we brought up help your decision.

Take care!

Sincerely, IonicAftershock

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IonicAftershock View Post
    The screen is fine except for a small black line going horizontally across the upper portion of the screen at a higher Hertz. I don't always notice it, just mainly if I am on a webpage and there is a white background.
    This is just how aperture grille is designed. You can read about the horizontal wires here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture_grille
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitr..._Support_Wires

I use similar monitor, usually 1024x768 for fast paced fps, 1600x1200 for desktop.
    A few of my customized display modes:
    1024x768 @155Hz, 1280x960 @125Hz, 1440x1080 @114Hz, 1600x1200 @100Hz

Hello insect,

I hope you are doing well.

Interesting reads, thank you for the links!

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or hide that line?

Also, which is better: the aperture grille (tension mask) technology or shadow mask technology?

Thank you very much, and take care!

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Whelp. I'm not using lightboost anymore, at least until Nvidia makes it available themselves.

Whenever I would play a game other than QL and minimize or exit one CPU would get entirely dedicated to some "interrupts" process which was invisible in the regular Task Manager and slow the computer down to a crawl. Tried a ton of crap I found through google, mainly involving disabling audio devices, but the only thing that fixed it was getting the VG278HE EDID driver and installing that (just rolling back wasn't enough). Goodbye Lightboost.

At least I still have 144Hz.

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    Hello insect,

Thanks, I'm doing fine, just flying around

Interesting reads, thank you for the links!

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or hide that line?

Also, which is better: the aperture grille (tension mask) technology or shadow mask technology?
    No, removing the horizontal wires is a bad idea, probably the monitor wouldn't work properly after that.
    I rarely notice the two horizontal lines though, mainly when I'm intentionally looking for them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromaclear
    Here is a little comparison of Cromaclear vs. aperture grille CRTs, vs. "conventional" shadow mask CRTs.
    Aperture grille is the best CRT mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    CPU would get entirely dedicated to some "interrupts" process which was invisible in the regular Task Manager and slow the computer down to a crawl.
    I had similar problem with interrupts some time ago, in my case it was one of PCI cards causing the conflict.

Senior Member brainwreck is on a distinguished road brainwreck's Avatar
    would really love it if you could try out my AM for a game or two theres no way that wingman can hang with the sensor it felt amazing going from a deathadder to it, prob feel like brand new game going from a ballmouse

Quote Originally Posted by julios View Post
    Shape and the lack of a scroll wheel:

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...th-a-ballmouse

my accuracy's gone even higher since I made that demo, partially due to me learning how to really refurbish my wingmen. I'm sure that if I had an optical or nice laser sensor (which I plan to eventually implant into my wingman shell), it'd be a bit better, but in my experience, the important factors are mouse shape, smoothness of mousepad/mousefeet interaction, increasing USB polling rate to 500hz, and having relatively well maintained rollers. Perhaps my mind will be blown once I actually make the transition - The only two non-ballmice i've quaked with are the logitech g9x and g600, both of which I used for about 20 min each. The tracking is definitely impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by julios View Post
    I love it - though I have the hp p1130 so it's 21 inch not 22 inch. It's an old hand me down and I need to turn it on and off about 4 times in order to get a stable image, but once it's stable it's very nice. Last night the color temp reset spontaneously so I had to recalibrate the monitor. Not a big deal, considering I got it for free.
    lol, mine is funky too it takes like 5minutes to warm up from being off, in which it is flashing images like a strobe light, but as long as its hot its fine, although it gets SO hot sometimes that it angers the blood

and i have like all the red colors to 0 in monitor osd settings to acheive proper colors

Quote Originally Posted by Retribution View Post
    Yes, but some enjoy the luxury of high resolution desktop and media. While a 4:3 high refresh rate CRT is a good choice for Quake, it is not necessarily the all-in-one solution some people desire. I would be going for the FW900 personally if I wished to use a CRT nowadays. I agree if those things aren't important to you you have a better chance of finding a fast CRT in your area. Although I tried in my area and could not.
    use crt for Fps gaming and 2ndary lcd for hd movies and other games

Hello insect,

Quote Originally Posted by insect View Post
    Thanks, I'm doing fine, just flying around
    Good!

No, removing the horizontal wires is a bad idea, probably the monitor wouldn't work properly after that.
    I rarely notice the two horizontal lines though, mainly when I'm intentionally looking for them.
    Ok. I actually meant something to do other than physically removing them, whether that be some software program or something else. Is that possible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromaclear
    Here is a little comparison of Cromaclear vs. aperture grille CRTs, vs. "conventional" shadow mask CRTs.
    Thank you!

Aperture grille is the best CRT mask.
    Sounds like I made a good choice then.

Take care!

copydaaigoedou,

Just in case you are interested, here is a link to one of my threads that is focused on CRT's (mainly Hertz). You might find some things useful as that thread, as well as your thread here, has become a great resource because of all the knowledgeable people who contributed (thanks peoplez!). Here it is:

CRT Monitors - Hertz

Take care.

+ Reply to Thread