+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: CRT screens best?

Member Retribution is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolp4 View Post
    I have never known a single serious quake player who plays at 1080p or other high reso.

Also Retribution, I don't know where the hell you are looking because I have never seen a crt touch an lcd in price.
    Sony Trinitron FW900 is usually 300+ dollars on eBay.

Junior Member pistolp4 is on a distinguished road
    isn't that the widescreen crt monitor? No kidding its expensive, its relatively new, and is rare so some people would die for it. I picked up 2 IBM P275 monitors for 10 bucks. 800 x 600 is 160 or 170hz I forgot, 2056 x 1536 is 85hz. The majority of crt monitors are crap ones, but just keep looking around and fairly quickly you will find a decent one. That sony monitor is an exception, its not a traditional crt monitor.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 01-23-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by insect View Post
    The delays are different, for example:
    - with 50ms ping you can still move your mouse fast and see instant response on screen.
    - with 50ms input latency you would have to wait 50ms after moving the mouse to see any change on screen.
    So input latency is worse.
    They're both bad.

The issue is that you can't get an update to your client until new info arrives from the server, and then the input latency can start its clock to show the new info on screen.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Of course it does! If you had 20 ms input latency and a 50 ms ping, it would be like playing with 70 ms.
    The 200ms gain in reaction time with no blur by far outweighs the 20ms loss in input lag. The BenQ XL211T costs less than 200 dollars.

With my Asus VG278HE at 120Hz and Lightboost (the Lightboost registry hack doesn't currently support 144Hz) playing at 1080p I am pretty much brutalizing my competition. Even with its 2-5ms input lag, which is worse than the 1ms of my old 120Hz monitor the difference with Lightboost is so huge the input lag literally becomes a non-issue. The only thing that matters now that I don't experience any motion blur is my true reaction time.

The reason I got the Asus rather than the BenQ is simple: bigger targets>1-4ms less input lag.

Member Retribution is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolp4 View Post
    isn't that the widescreen crt monitor? No kidding its expensive, its relatively new, and is rare so some people would die for it. I picked up 2 IBM P275 monitors for 10 bucks. 800 x 600 is 160 or 170hz I forgot, 2056 x 1536 is 85hz. The majority of crt monitors are crap ones, but just keep looking around and fairly quickly you will find a decent one. That sony monitor is an exception, its not a traditional crt monitor.
    Yes, but some enjoy the luxury of high resolution desktop and media. While a 4:3 high refresh rate CRT is a good choice for Quake, it is not necessarily the all-in-one solution some people desire. I would be going for the FW900 personally if I wished to use a CRT nowadays. I agree if those things aren't important to you you have a better chance of finding a fast CRT in your area. Although I tried in my area and could not.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 01-23-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    The 200ms gain in reaction time with no blur by far outweighs the 20ms loss in input lag.
    200 ms gain in reaction time? What?

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    200 ms gain in reaction time? What?
    Try it out and see for yourself. Believe me, the difference with Lightboost and without it are friggin nuts. It's been a long time since I was last called an aimbotter in CA (I blame being slightly famous), but it happened just today. I'm hitting accuracies I used to hit back in 2010-2011 after playing 1 weekend with this thing, and that's after 2 years of inactivity.

BTW, getting vibes that you have no idea what I'm talking about, so here: http://www.techngaming.com/home/guid...ightboost-r485

Junior Member Jonathan_ is on a distinguished road
    The 200ms gain in reaction time with no blur by far outweighs the 20ms loss in input lag. The BenQ XL211T costs less than 200 dollars.

With my Asus VG278HE at 120Hz and Lightboost (the Lightboost registry hack doesn't currently support 144Hz) playing at 1080p I am pretty much brutalizing my competition. Even with its 2-5ms input lag, which is worse than the 1ms of my old 120Hz monitor the difference with Lightboost is so huge the input lag literally becomes a non-issue. The only thing that matters now that I don't experience any motion blur is my true reaction time.

The reason I got the Asus rather than the BenQ is simple: bigger targets>1-4ms less input lag.
    I got this monitor recently as well. Great monitor especially with lightboost trick. Without the lightboost it still is one of the best 120hz monitors I've own. Smooth, good colors and quality after tweaking.

Quick question for you though. Can you use lightboost at any other resolution besides native? I've tried quakelive with r_mode 12 but it turns off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_ View Post
    Quick question for you though. Can you use lightboost at any other resolution besides native? I've tried quakelive with r_mode 12 but it turns off.
    I have no clue. Might wanna ask the blurbusters people.

Member slavemaster is on a distinguished road slavemaster's Avatar
    Try it out and see for yourself.
    lol you say that as if everybody has 120hz monitors and specific gpu brand lying around.

+ Reply to Thread