+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fps drops on quad core processor

Junior Member polishmeyaya is on a distinguished road

Question fps drops on quad core processor

I got AMD Phenom II 3Ghz (quad) CPU, and I need to play QL on 1 core to have steady 125fps, otherwise I have huge drops on every map, especially bigger ones with more players - what's up with that?
    Same thing in quake 3.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    The issue with Quake Live is that it only can use one of your processors (Unless I've been mistaken for a while). I'm not sure if the same is true for Quake 3 or not though. I'd suggest reading through the forum to see what all you can do in attempts to increase your fps.

I was hoping someone already knows the answer, because I'm a bit tired of setting 1 core to QL every time I start the game :/
    From what I've been hearing it's not only my problem and not only AMD problem...

I just wanted to mention that I started using CPU-Control to automatically set affiliation for QL, but I'd rather use all 4 cores :/

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Using four cores at once to run a single thread? Sorry polishmeyaya, but things just don't work that way. It cannot be done. However, I am surprised that you are obliged to set the affiliation yourself. I would have expected your OS to do the job... or is there a big workload from other processes at the same time?

No workload...maybe it's because I'm on windows XP (pro sp3)? Do I need newer OS? But then again I know that this affiliation trick helped few of my friends and I'm pretty sure they got vista or 7 :/

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Maybe. I don't know. Mutli-core CPU weren't exactly common place when XP hit the market, heh. I'd expect a newer OS to deal with that better, but you never know...

Member MadGabZ is on a distinguished road
    Hi Guys,
    I'm painfully aware of the multicore-problem w Quake3/quakelive, having a nVidia card only heightens this problem, back with my old 8800gts. So, I'm already using a CPU-tweaking application, I want to recommend here: Process Lasso This is a rather advanced system application - not for the faint of heart, but its very versatile!
    This post isn't to be regarded as an advert, just help! If you find any similar or better application in the free/open-source world, PLEASE let me know!

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadGabZ View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm painfully aware of the multicore-problem w Quake3/quakelive, having a nVidia card only heightens this problem, back with my old 8800gts. So, I'm already using a CPU-tweaking application, I want to recommend here: Process Lasso This is a rather advanced system application - not for the faint of heart, but its very versatile!
    This post isn't to be regarded as an advert, just help! If you find any similar or better application in the free/open-source world, PLEASE let me know!
    Madgabz here is a far better program then that and its 100% free http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Go to Power Options in Windows and change to "High Performance". Your CPU is most likely just throttling, and that will fix it.

+ Reply to Thread