+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Demo: how to circle between players

Hybrid View

Member Akula33 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Demo: how to circle between players

Hi,

I've searched the forum but have not found an answer to this. How to circle through players in a demo that I have recorded? I saw talk about third person, but that's not what I need. For example I want to record a duel with a bot and see how am I dodging through his eyes.

Thanks very much in advance!

Senior Member NEPHIREM is on a distinguished road NEPHIREM's Avatar
    I think you need Wolfcam for that...

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Akula33 View Post
    Hi,

I've searched the forum but have not found an answer to this. How to circle through players in a demo that I have recorded? I saw talk about third person, but that's not what I need. For example I want to record a duel with a bot and see how am I dodging through his eyes.

Thanks very much in advance!
    You cannot, this is what's called an MVD (Multi-view demo).

MVDs are not supported in QL.

You can have a friend spectate and record the other guys pov, but obviously this won't work with bots. You can also have a friend record against you and send you the demo.

Otherwise your only alternative is to use wolfcam. Playing the demo in wolfcam, you can do this:

type \players

output is something like:

00 SomeOpponent
    01 Akula33

Then you can type in:

\follow 00

Then, when that player is within a certain range of your player such that the client has his/her information, it will switch to their pov.

However you will not be able to see their health, and on maps with plenty of distance, such as blood run you won't see their pov that often. On a map like eye to eye you will have their pov pretty much the entire demo.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

It's weird that they would not provide such a basic feature. What secret there is what the opponent sees.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Akula33 View Post
    Thank you, this is very helpful!

It's weird that they would not provide such a basic feature. What secret there is what the opponent sees.
    It's not a matter of being secret, it's a matter of the server having to record vs. the client having to record.

MVDs require the server to record the POVs of all players in the game. Then the demo must be made available for players to download. This results in greater CPU use, greater disk space, and greater bandwidth on the server.

For whatever reason, they can barely maintain the servers they have so I suspect this is the reason why there haven't been MVDs thus far.

Theoretically the client could grab more information about the players on the server, such as health and full placement of players. However this has two drawbacks:

1. It makes it easier to author cheats, since the client has much more information available to it that then only needs to be displayed on-screen somehow to create a cheat.

2. It results in more resources again, however these are more client centered. Traffic between the client and the server would go up, and demo files would be much larger and would take more resources to write during the game.

Perhaps these drawbacks are not that serious, but they are worth considering.

Yeah, I see your point. Thanks very much!

I've solved this!

Option 1:
    1) play a demo in wolfcam
    2) open console and type /freecam
    3) voila, you can fly around the map and watch whatever you need to

Option 2:
    1) play a demo in wolfcam
    2) open console and type /players - this gives you a list of players and their numbers 00, 01, 02 etc.
    3) type /follow [number of player you want to follow] e.g. /follow 01
    4) voila, you are following that player

great!

+ Reply to Thread