+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mouse issue : weapons changing goes mad when using the mouse wheel (Logit./SetPoint)

Junior Member Rockzzz is on a distinguished road

Mouse issue : weapons changing goes mad when using the mouse wheel (Logit./SetPoint)

Hello, I'm using a Logitech MX518 mouse + Set Point driver.

Problem is that the mwheelup and mwheeldown actions are not behaving correctly and consistently.

For example, if I do 1 mouse wheelup movement (I'm sure of this, I can feel a single "tick!" on the mouse), this will successively change weapon 3 or 4 times. If I do again, it will change 2 or 3, and so on: it seems to behave pretty random.

I had no problem with QuakeLive and this mouse until about 4 monthes I guess (I noticed nothing nor any exceptional config modification sry). With other FPS games or anything else, I get no mouse wheel problems. On Q3 1.16, 1.32b, 1.32c neither

Maybe something interesting : I logged out, backed up then deleted repconfig.cfg and qzconfig.cfg files, flushed browser cache, logged in again, did a "Reset to defaults" : on first game, running in browser-window mode, I could switch weapons normally, but after 2 or 3 attempts of the same action (1 mouse wheel tick up) in this same game, I got a QL Javascript popup window saying something starting with "Do you really want to navigate away from this page ?", and then the mouse problem came back. Same when setting full screen.

Another thing: I used a windows batch to increase my mouse polling to a fastest response time (I don't remember the value). At the moment, the test mouserate app comming with tells me it goes 125 Hz rate. Maybe this can be an issue. I read everywhere it doesn't hurt, but never read any decent argument for it.

In SetPoint is told:
    - Control Center Version: 6.32.7
    - Driver Version: 5.33.14

I can provide any other info to help troubleshooting this.

Thanks for support! And srsly, long long life to this game. CTF gameplay is freakin appealing, it can only get boring depending on the players involvment at the game moment, it's 1:1 relation between players/team skills and fun, so rare (--> unique yeah, not rare) perfect. And additionally, it's beautifull and run easy on low configs.

So yeah, let cryers and no-effort new comers leave it, but skill freaks, don't leave it. Whatever BF, whatever COD, that can be cool too yeah, but "this" is QL, the only fast game you enjoy when drunk or not. Play it a lot, play it a little, but don't abandon it. It's only the community duty to stand there. "Hey, come to my party ! There will be 1000 douches !" "Hmm, we're 8 and having tons of fun, why should this be bigger ?" Of course yes, let it pass away

SetPoint settings:
    * - no mouse-to-keyboard binds (mouse5 works well on QL)
    * - pointer settings:
    *** - pointer speed: 6th/11 item selected on the horizontal bar
    *** - pointer acceleration: none
    *** - enable smart move: not ticked
    *** - enabled pointer trails: not ticked
    * - scrolling size:
    *** - 3 lines (default setting, setting to 1 line brings a bad overall-mouse-usage behavior)
    * - game detection:
    *** - enabled: ticked
    *** - apply game settings when a game is detected: ticked
    * - game mode settings:
    *** - keep mouse acceleration: ticked
    *** - keep mouse speed: ticked
    *** - keep right/left hand button assignments: ticked
    *** - keep keypress button assignments: ticked
    *** - keep other button assignments (double-click, autoscroll...): not ticked
    * - speed and acceleration:
    *** - setpoint implementation: ticked
    *** - retain OS settings: ticked
    *** - OS implementation: not ticked
    Last edited by Rockzzz; 01-14-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    I used to get a similar problem with a Microsoft mouse - weapons would change randomly, no problems in any other programs. Changed the mouse, problem went away, so I assumed the wheel must have been worn or faulty. You could unbind mwheel up/down, but that would be weird if you're used to using it.

Junior Member Rockzzz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for your input Mike68. Problem seems solved finally, keeping the same mouse.

I did set the repconfig.cfg and qzconfig.cfg files as read-only on my operating system (Windows 7 64b), got the problem again during like 30s of in-game, then it went away.

As a safety action, I did a "/writeconfig myconf.cfg" in console, that I now launch through an "autoexec.cfg" file (--> exec myconf.cfg).

After finishing 1 game, I stopped all, logged out, removed the read-only locks, logged back in and played another entire game : no more problem.

So I don't know what it was about, if it's really solved now. Seems like locking the conf files in read-only permitted the client-side to update some conf on the server-side, that were auto-overwritten before they could be sent to server, when the issue still occured.

It's strange. ANyway, it's ok now

Thanks, and cya in game

[Solved] (can't find the link to edit the thread title or "mark it as solved")
    Last edited by Rockzzz; 01-14-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    Glad you sorted it. Sadly, "changing the mouse" is about as technical as I get before people who know what they are talking about take over.

+ Reply to Thread