+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linux + My CFG = Game wont load

Member szr is on a distinguished road

Linux + My CFG = Game wont load

Hey guys, I just installed Linux Mint 14 and got QL working fine, but when I try to load my CFG and restart the game, I just get a white screen for a split second then it returns back to the QL homepage, if I keep repeatedly trying to load the game several times it eventually gives me a message saying "Quake Live core extraction failed.". I am guessing it is some command/cvar in my config which is causing this but I have no idea which one. Anyone know how to fix this or experienced this before?

Thanks,
    szr

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Appreciate the reply, however I fail to see how this is relevant, it is mainly about Windows and IE. Also I did mention that I actually got QL working and it only breaks when I exec my config, this suggests that it is in fact nothing to do with the PK3 files etc. and most likely some bad cvar which the Linux version of QL doesn't like.

Thanks anyway though.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Hi szr!

If you run firefox from a terminal, does it spit anything interesting there when it breaks?

Does ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/error.log gets created?

If there's nothing helpful there, and until Linux Mint users step up (they always have some problems, hehe), I can only suggest you bisecting your config to find which part makes it break. I've done this once in the past and it took me like 5 minutes to find cvars I was looking for, I can't recommend it enough :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Hi szr!

If you run firefox from a terminal, does it spit anything interesting there when it breaks?

Does ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/error.log gets created?

If there's nothing helpful there, and until Linux Mint users step up (they always have some problems, hehe), I can only suggest you bisecting your config to find which part makes it break. I've done this once in the past and it took me like 5 minutes to find cvars I was looking for, I can't recommend it enough
    Bearing in mind that I am a COMPLETE Linux noob (I've only ever used Windows up until 2 days ago) I didn't really understand what you ment about running FF in a terminal, its a GUI, didn't think you could run it in a terminal xD? Anyways, there is an error log and here is the contents of it...

Code:
    =========== ERR_FATAL REPORT =========
     1024 768
    Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
    XF86DGA Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
    XFree86-VidModeExtension:  Ignored on non-fullscreen/Voodoo
    Couldn't get a visual
    ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (12)
    ...loading libGL.so.1: Initializing OpenGL display
    ...setting mode 12: 1024 768
    Couldn't get a visual
    Initializing OpenGL display
    ...setting mode 5: 640 480
    Couldn't get a visual
    ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (5)
    Initializing OpenGL display
    ...setting mode 12: 1024 768
    Couldn't get a visual
    GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
    Thanks.

Btw - To clarify, Firefox doesn't actaully crash, its just as simple as Quake not firing up.

When I try launching the game, it does this for around 1 second then returns back to the homepage:

qlbug.gif

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    You don't have support for openGL hardware acceleration setup right, or you installed dri drivers for voodoo cards and you don't have a voodoo card.

I had a voodoo back in 2000.... to my amaze, it coupled w/ a PII 266 and 256 megs of ram ran q3beta ok. But I doubt you have voodoo hardware. It could be probing a list of all possible drivers if one was never specifically selected at install, and it keeps cycling through mode changes trying to find one your Voodoo card will respond to.

+ Reply to Thread