+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bot difficulties

Junior Member Dazerio is on a distinguished road

Unhappy Bot difficulties

Okay, so I practise with bots, and the only thing I notice that's hard about fighting nightmare bots is the 1 hit kill at long range with a shotgun when I have 120+ health and 20 armor...
    Surely there is a way to make bot damage what it should be and have them use different weapons at the right situations?

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Yeah, you can replace them with enemies that actually have brains. Which is what you definitely should do.

Junior Member Dazerio is on a distinguished road
    I get completely slaughtered by brains though

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazerio View Post
    I get completely slaughtered by brains though
    Well you're (probably) not going to get better against bots. While they can help with aiming to some degree, you can't really improve since their movement is fairly easy to predict and they don't use any strategy when playing.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazerio View Post
    Okay, so I practise with bots, and the only thing I notice that's hard about fighting nightmare bots is the 1 hit kill at long range with a shotgun when I have 120+ health and 20 armor...
    Long range SG will not do 140 hp of damage even with the quad.

Surely there is a way to make bot damage what it should be
    It is the same as on public servers.

and have them use different weapons at the right situations?
    They aren't smart enough for this and new code for the bots is probably very low on the priority list.

One thing you can do is just use devmap ie:

devmap verticalvengeance

addbot anarki 4

give all ; god

Then you can practice with all the weapons without being hurt and tweak your config or w/e.

Junior Member spacelord is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    addbot anarki 4
    isn't Nightmare "5" ?

I have been recommended bot_aasoptimize "1" to make them smarter, but i don't know if it works though

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Yes nightmare is 5.

I just tend to use 4 because their shooting is slightly more human.

You can also try increasing bot_thinktime which supposedly makes them stronger.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Did you accidentally set g_instagib to 1?

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    You can also try increasing bot_thinktime which supposedly makes them stronger.
    *decreasing, and it does actually make them stronger, in a way... when I put it to '1', they start doing these short/mid-distance dodging manoeuvres and it reduces my average accuracy by ~10%.

My usual setup:
    \bot_challenge 1
    \bot_aasoptimize 1
    \bot_thinktime 1
    \addbot bones 5
    (or any other bot... Bones = shotgun, Anarki = rockets, Hossman = LG, etc)

It would be nice if there was an API or something that would allow people to code their own bots and then add them into the game (singleplayer)... ideally with enough flexibility to allow (or not hinder development of) genetic algorithms. :E
    Don't make me angry, The voices in my head don't like it when you make me angry.

bot_aasoptimize has nothing to do with their strength, it has to do with optimizing aas files.

Supposedly bot_challenge 1 makes them "more challenging". I tried to determine from the q3 source if this is the case but couldn't. The code does appear to be doing something with the way the bot aims, but this wasn't noticeable from spectating them. I found at least one esr post that said it made them better, but that could have been placebo.

bot_thinktime is the time the bot thinks in milliseconds (per q3 source).

I don't know if that means the bot plays stronger since he thinks longer, or he plays weaker since he does the same amount of thinking in a longer period of time and therefore makes a decision quicker when set lower, or carries out an action more quickly.

I would like to know for sure. If you can demonstrate a difference with a demo or whatever, I'd love to see it.

+ Reply to Thread