+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Why don't we just play Quake 3?

  1. #11
    Member Angryi is on a distinguished road Angryi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    32
    Even though Quake 3 is superior to QL, QL has done a great thing: it brought new people to quake. And without a new all-in-one client to maintain the 'click and play style' + running servers, I really doubt those would spend their time trying to figure things out.
    Its a shame, really. One wouldve expected full time professionals from ID deliver much better content than part time volunteers, especially after 4 years of development. Wasted potential.

    Galdov: By Q3, people are referring to CPMA, mod made by the community. It contains plenty of great features, that are not included in QL for no known reason. The disappointment comes from the fact that ID still didnt best a 7 years old mod and didnt add promised stuff (by SyncError in 2009) such as ladder.

  2. #12
    Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    347
    If your talking about vinalla Q3 nobody plays it because its not as good or as fun of a game as QL is.

  3. #13
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Angryi View Post
    Galdov: By Q3, people are referring to CPMA, mod made by the community. It contains plenty of great features, that are not included in QL for no known reason. The disappointment comes from the fact that ID still didnt best a 7 years old mod and didnt add promised stuff (by SyncError in 2009) such as ladder.
    Did you know id software actually blocks qlranks tracking?

    I think vanilla QL is fine, just some bad decisions but that's it. The biggest problem I have with it though is the severe lack of good mods and good maps, for example ra3>ca and ra3arenas>qlmaps, and customization is still very much lacking for some reason (can't play ql with q3 settings or with the q3 maps versions rofl).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

  4. #14
    Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kepler-22b
    Posts
    8,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Angryi View Post
    Even though Quake 3 is superior to QL,
    What makes you say this? Many would disagree.

  5. #15
    Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Galdov View Post
    this is my first post in the forums :P
    Welcome :P
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    Did you know id software actually blocks qlranks tracking?
    That's probably because it's technically against the Terms of Conditions. But since they don't actually do that, *whistles off in the distance* (NO, I DID NOT EDIT THIS TO INCLUDE THIS LAST SENTENCE :P)

    I personally had never played Quake 3 before I played Quake Live, but the issue is probably that people aren't willing to pay for Q3 if they didn't already have it. It's also much easier to let id do the work instead of having the users maintain their own servers.
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 01-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.

  6. #16
    Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    Did you know id software actually blocks qlranks tracking?
    No we don't. Infact, I've gone out of my way to help them in the past with issues.

  7. #17
    Member Angryi is on a distinguished road Angryi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    What makes you say this? Many would disagree.
    People who disagree mostly never played vq3 or OSP.
    What makes me think that Q3 > QL?

    1. The actual gameplay. Vq3 just feels better and more user friendly. You jump around during warmup, you see all the spawn points, which makes new maps easier to learn, you got well arranged menu/stats tab, small things like #i #L etc for tdm binds, r_nomip...

    2. Gtv. I was grateful for ESL (after all, Joe & 2GD can hardly be bested), Zotac, Im happy to have faceit. But just the fact that you are free to grab the GTV camera to any major/minor event you want is essential for a game like QL. You can stream your games alright, but quake isnt exactly Starcraft 2 where you have plenty of time to make comments during the actual match. If we had an improved version of GTV (lets say with a voice synchro), cups like 125fps and daily faceit would become much more popular and could possibly encourage others.

    3. Multipov and demo playback. In q3, you launch a demo (from your demo list, no need to start a practice match) and you are free to switch between povs as you like + you actually see where the other player is in a small window on the screen, worked the same way when you were spectating. I really dont know why this hasnt been added to QL yet, as I think demos are an important part of quake games. Casters complain about this one every now and then, rightfully so.

    4. Freedom, mods. Restricted to be able to vote only during warmups, restricted using of custom maps, restricted server configs / mods. Not to mention theres only a single server provider (i3d) - youre having problems? Well, you might as well quit. Wanna play defrag? Oh well, that sucks.

    So, thats a few points coming to my mind. I like QL, I enjoy playing it, but I have problems understanding why QL is a downgrade instead of an upgrade, why theres no ladder, chatrooms (moderated general, for prem/pro users their own, possibly p/w protected), mods, autogenerated daily cups you can attend just by clicking in browser menu and so on and so on. Ive purchased Pro to support QL, but what I get for my money is less than I had for free before.

  8. #18
    Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Angryi View Post
    Ive purchased Pro to support QL, but what I get for my money is less than I had for free before.
    So...you illegally downloaded Q3 then or is that just bad wording?

  9. #19
    Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Angryi View Post
    Galdov: By Q3, people are referring to CPMA, mod made by the community. It contains plenty of great features, that are not included in QL for no known reason. The disappointment comes from the fact that ID still didnt best a 7 years old mod and didnt add promised stuff (by SyncError in 2009) such as ladder.
    ???????????? No we're not "referring to CPMA" at all, though the flexible mods are an additional reason to choose Q3.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

  10. #20
    Member Angryi is on a distinguished road Angryi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    So...you illegally downloaded Q3 then or is that just bad wording?
    Depends. I mean, Ive bought Quake 3 to get the CDKey (which wasnt that useful as Ive found out later on), but everything else was for free.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts