+ Reply to Thread

Thread: QLprism viable

Junior Member lijtal is on a distinguished road

QLprism viable

I don't doubt that it works fine and all, but doesn't it cut out a lot of add money for ID and thus making it likely that we have to pay even more in the future for things that used to be free?

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lijtal View Post
    I don't doubt that it works fine and all, but doesn't it cut out a lot of add money for ID and thus making it likely that we have to pay even more in the future for things that used to be free?
    It does come with a version of AdBlock. However, you can turn that off in the bottom-right where the userscripts are located (I'd provide a picture, but I don't even have QLPrism installed). It's basically the same thing as running AdBlock in an actual browser, but with additional "stuff".

I personally don't recommend using it because it's just a ton of things that the average user doesn't need. It's supposed to be better for playing, but when you actually use your browsing for browsing at the same time as playing, it becomes a nuisance due to the lack of being able to search through QLPrism. (Then you need to open another browser at the same time, which ruins the purpose of QLPrism) Additionally, users that don't know better might think that the userscript additions are standard in QL, and when those userscripts break the user may get on this forum and complain about it not working, when it's not id's fault at all; it's that the userscript would need an update.

Junior Member lijtal is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    It does come with a version of AdBlock. However, you can turn that off in the bottom-right where the userscripts are located (I'd provide a picture, but I don't even have QLPrism installed). It's basically the same thing as running AdBlock in an actual browser, but with additional "stuff".

I personally don't recommend using it because it's just a ton of things that the average user doesn't need. It's supposed to be better for playing, but when you actually use your browsing for browsing at the same time as playing, it becomes a nuisance due to the lack of being able to search through QLPrism. (Then you need to open another browser at the same time, which ruins the purpose of QLPrism) Additionally, users that don't know better might think that the userscript additions are standard in QL, and when those userscripts break the user may get on this forum and complain about it not working, when it's not id's fault at all; it's that the userscript would need an update.
    I suspected this could be the case. I have a somewhat dated system and QL doesn't run quites as smoothly these days. Does it offer any performance boost at all?

Quote Originally Posted by lijtal View Post
    I suspected this could be the case. I have a somewhat dated system and QL doesn't run quites as smoothly these days. Does it offer any performance boost at all?
    I personally found no advantage to using it. In fact, due to all the userscripts that I didn't want, I found it annoying and installed it faily quickly. As for memory-wise, I'd assume it uses less memory, but I haven't actually tested since I prefer to be able to browse at the same time while playing QL (Not at the "same" time, but I assume you know what I mean) and that would probably involve more memory to keep QLPrism open compared to just another tab in Firefox.

*illest
    practically everyone these days (even my virtually computer-illiterate mother) uses an ad blocker in their browser, and i'd imagine that no one was clicking on QL advertisements anyway

http://puu.sh/1LQct <-- Do that and you're not evil. :3

+ Reply to Thread