+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Latency and Virtual Private Network

Member Retribution is on a distinguished road

Latency and Virtual Private Network

I decided to see if could reduce my latency using a VPN. My lowest available ping is 60 to Virginia and I would consider eliminating 15-20 milliseconds to be a huge success. Likewise, lowering the latency on my worse servers (Texas, Illinois, California, Washington, ...) would help quite a bit. So far there is nothing good to report. The first VPN service I tried is HideMyAss and it seems to have only doubled my latency. The second service I tried is Overplay and I can't seem to connect to QuakeLive while it is enabled. The error I receive is "XMPP Connection Failure". If anybody can shed light on this I would appreciate it.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retribution View Post
    I decided to see if could reduce my latency using a VPN. My lowest available ping is 60 to Virginia and I would consider eliminating 15-20 milliseconds to be a huge success. Likewise, lowering the latency on my worse servers (Texas, Illinois, California, Washington, ...) would help quite a bit. So far there is nothing good to report. The first VPN service I tried is HideMyAss and it seems to have only doubled my latency. The second service I tried is Overplay and I can't seem to connect to QuakeLive while it is enabled. The error I receive is "XMPP Connection Failure". If anybody can shed light on this I would appreciate it.
    I know that the World Freeze League guys were looking into VPN's as a way of evening out pings in international matches. I'll see if I can find out how they got on. It's certainly an interesting topic.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    Try to find a VPN provider who has a server close to the QL server that you will be playing from.
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    Try to find a VPN provider who has a server close to the QL server that you will be playing from.
    Apparently HideMyAss has several servers in these states. Concerning Texas, I connected to the VPN and ran a tracert to the Dallas QuakeLive server and each hop is ~56 milliseconds. However, when I connected to the Dallas server my ping is 130. Is there something I'm misunderstanding?

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Seems like a few people use them

This is fairly helpful, from the WTFast site, as used by one of my friends (kanzo) :

http://blog.wtfast.com/2012/12/ssh-t...educe-lag.html
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member drunkenFooL is on a distinguished road
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...905#post228905

c3 had a forum thread on VPN's back in August 2012. You may want to read that too.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPossible View Post

This is fairly helpful, from the WTFast site, as used by one of my friends (kanzo) :

I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenFooL View Post
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...905#post228905

c3 had a forum thread on VPN's back in August 2012. You may want to read that too.
    Might try FixMyLag.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPossible View Post

WTFast doesn't seem to work for me.

Does anybody know why when I use Overplay there is an XMPP Connection Failure?

+ Reply to Thread