+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very short periodically fps drops?

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road

Very short periodically fps drops?

Lately I've been having these very short fps drops. It happens about once a minute. Fps goes down to what I read as 20, feels like 10 or lower. Then back to 60 (my standard fps) for a second. Then small drop again. Then 60 again for a second. Like 5-6 times, then it's over. One minute later, same story. The drops take about less than 0.5 second.
    It doesn't sound like a big deal, but basically it means that I'll be unable to rail for about 6 seconds every minute. Also all other guns/dodging goes quite bad during those drops.
    You can see it for yourself in the demo. Right at the start, and at the end (when I start clicking 'no item to use').

Does anybody know anything about this, or a way to fix this?
    Attached Files

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    I strongly suspect a background process grabbing resources during that time, such as an updater, virus scanner, or malware.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Does your lagometer show anything? It sounds to me like it's a connection-related issue that might be occurring if you're using wifi. Anti-virus is my second guess.

@pika
    No, it's only in fps. I am on wifi, and I used to have small lag things because apparently Windows has to seek for new wireless networks every 21 seconds, but I fixed that with Windows Background Scan Disabler or something.
    @lorfa
    I'll do a virus scan tomorrow and see what the results are.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Try running QL and looking at a process monitor at the same time to see if something takes the CPU during the drops.

Member the_devil is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by KaasMan View Post
    @pika
    No, it's only in fps. I am on wifi, and I used to have small lag things because apparently Windows has to seek for new wireless networks every 21 seconds, but I fixed that with Windows Background Scan Disabler or something.
    @lorfa
    You should state your OS.
    Your hardware set up, ie CPU, GFX card.
    Stating this would assist people in helping you further with more appropriate advice without making assumptions.

If you have an older card or perhaps and integrated GFX card, you may get a substantial boost in FPS by disabling any video post processing which quakelive allows. - Granted that this is not resolving the root cause which does indeed sound like an external process, but since you have your FPS capped at 60, the boost in FPS may mean you don't notice the drop as much.

Another thing you could try is a wired network connection to see if it makes a difference - Although it does not sound like a network connectivity issue - it's worth doing this to rule out the wifi.

Furthermore, I do not believe Lorfa is asking you to perform a virus scan, but simply to check if one is running in the background whilst you run quakelive - if so, turn it off, or add the quakelive directory to the exclusion list for scans/monitor.

Making an assumption on your OS - I am assuming a windows variant - go to START--> RUN and enter "msconfig" go to startup tab and deselect anything you do not recognise as default - this should take care of malware and other thir party processes.

Also check plugins you may have installed on your browser - I've had problems with third party plugins in the past which would poll their 'home' website at regular intervals.

Good luck!

Well the virus scan was mostly to check whether I had virusses or malware that eat CPU. But my computer is clean.
    I tried disabling the post processing, but my screen turns really dark (only when in fullscreen). I did notice that if I bring my brightness to below 1, and then bring it up to 1 again, the screen is at a good brightness. But the problem is that I have to do this every time. So I wanted to put something in my config that does this automatically, but what is the console command for the thing called just 'Brightness' in the menu? Can't find it anywhere.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Well the virus scan was mostly to check whether I had virusses or malware that eat CPU. But my computer is clean.
    I tried disabling the post processing, but my screen turns really dark (only when in fullscreen). I did notice that if I bring my brightness to below 1, and then bring it up to 1 again, the screen is at a good brightness. But the problem is that I have to do this every time. So I wanted to put something in my config that does this automatically, but what is the console command for the thing called just 'Brightness' in the menu? Can't find it anywhere.
    r_gamma *might* be what you're looking for.

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    @pika
    @lorfa
    Thanks for the heads up on the Windows Background Scan Disabler . Giving it a go..
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    r_gamma *might* be what you're looking for.
    Yes it was what I was looking for indeed. After a long and tough battle, I conquered my autoexec. He didn't want to work logically, so now I gotta press a bind twice to get my brightness correct.
    Not noticing the fps-drops anymore since I disabled that post processing, hope it will stay this way.

+ Reply to Thread