+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Improving Railgun Accuracy

Member TriOpted is on a distinguished road
    play 48 hours of insta only games ...

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Not many instas on. I played a match today. Don't know if it was luck or what but I got 2 impressives which I think is good.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    try aiming less with the mouse, and more with the left and right strafing keys, meaning u can hold ur cursor still while you aim - gradually as you practice this you can improve by fixing your aim with fast flicks or develop your own method to line up shots.

a good mouse is essential for more control + a nice mousepad will amaze you.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
    I googled this first before I posted so I wouldn't flood the forums but I couldn't find a article so I am asking how can you improve railgun accuracy. My accuracy for rail currently is around 20 percent.
    If you're only railing 20% then I'd suggest that initially you work w/ basic rail shots, strafe aiming. Rather than trying to flick or keep your xhair on the target, focus on your opponent's movement and predict if he's strafing left or right, and adjust your xhair location by strafing left or right to get him in your xhair. Look for patterns and place your xhair where your opponent will eventually move to and pull the trigger when he passes through your xhair. You should be able to land a 40+% rail by doing this alone, IMO. 95% of quake players have fairly predictable movement, so landing rails shouldn't be too difficult. It's the more skilled players you truly have to become good at flick shots to neutralize their movement, but even good players have patterns in movement.

Also, try not to get too involved in 1v1 rail battles because this will just drop your percentage if you're trying to rail someone that is trying to dodge it. Move around the map quickly and position yourself in varying locations to rail your opponent off guard. I also find that your rail works well by using it in combination w/ other weapons. Set up your rail shot by first using lg or rockets... your opponent's movement will be much more predictable if you catch them off guard with a different weapon.

Practice against bots w/ your rail... flick shots, strafe aiming, mouse aiming... etc. You don't have to use all different types of aiming to become successful w/ it, hope this helps... my 2 cents.

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    I played two and a bit of instagibs. I went into a CTF and I got 6 impressives. Could the instagibs improved me already?

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    I wouldn't recommend too much instagib. The reason is that the players there are not generally very skilled, and if you play against players way below your skill level too much you'll eventually start getting worse. I'd recommend Clan Arena instead. No matter how good you get you should always be able to find people of equal skill to play with.

Of course, if you haven't reached the point where instagib players are all cannon fodder, then by all means. Just remember, there's a pretty hard limit to how good you'll be able to get playing just instagib. Eventually the only option will be to switch to a mode with more skilled players.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    If he gets 20% RG, then there will be no problem with low-skilled enemies in Instagib. I have 43%, and sometimes I get beaten by someone's insane 50%+
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Junior Member ironlady is on a distinguished road ironlady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TriOpted View Post
    play 48 hours of insta only games ...
    Probably the best thing you can do
    And honestly, the crosshair really doesn't matter like at ALL. If you can't hit tankjr/keel with 2, you won't hit with 7. Just practice the weapon, don't fiddle around in the menus.

Senior Member Mr_Bombadil1 is on a distinguished road
    and relax

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    It is still weird that he has such low accuracies (20% and 2 impressives a match on tier1-2) being a regular player (so the game is not a first experience to him) and especially with the advice given here.

Wonder what kind of setup he has. No one can be so bad with a decent one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

+ Reply to Thread