+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R.A.T. (3,5,7,9) Profiles & Information

Junior Member XWand is an unknown quantity at this point

Post R.A.T. (3,5,7,9) Profiles & Information

Hey guys.

Another Logi mouse wore out on me so I went to store to pick up a replacement. There was a line of mice there called R.A.T. in 6 different models.

R.A.T.3 (3500 dpi) http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat3.htm $50
    R.A.T.5 (5600 dpi) http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat5.htm $70
    R.A.T.7 (5600 dpi) http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm $90
    R.A.T.7 (6400 dpi) http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7contagion.htm $90
    M.M.O.7 (6400 dpi) http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/mmo.htm $120?
    R.A.T.9 (6400 dpi) http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm $120

Each has slightly different features but all have the same basic form factor. R.A.T.9 is their wireless model.

And all with programmable buttons on both Windows and Mac. I use a Mac myself and finding decent software to configure mice is not much fun. I was using SteerMouse software previously which also works with these R.A.T. mice but the downloadable "drivers" from Cyborg are very nice - better than SteerMouse IMO for sure. While downloading the "drivers" I noticed they had quite a list of profiles for various different software packages and these are somehow selectable on the fly. There isn't a pre-made profile for Q4, QL, or Q3a though. So I was thinking that one of the ways we could use this thread is as a depository fro profiles you all have already come up with - if indeed there are any R.A.T. users out there. The software allows us to load and save profiles so if you have any good working profiles for Q4, QL, or Q3a just attaché them to a post in this thread. Thanks!

The mouse itself is extremely well made! Cold-formed aluminum skeletal structure various interchangeable body parts. The 3 and 5 don't come with the extra body part options but the torx bolts are there just the same. I don't know if the optional parts can be ordered separately or not but for me they hold little interest. I selected the R.A.T.5 which lacks the width adjustment mechanism but has all the same buttons as, the 7 and the 9.

All but the 3 have a weight system where various numbers of weights can be added or removed. My R.A.T.5 pushed the needle on my scale to 130 grams mark - and for me so far that feels about right. So the fact that the R.A.T.3 can't use weights may not be meaningful to some. Then again however the R.A.T.3 also doesn't have programmable thumb-scroll barrel which looks heavy to me - so the 3 might weigh as little as 95 grams (±10g)

The micro-switches under the main LMB/RMB/MMB control surfaces feel to be of exceptionally high quality which is what keeps breaking on my logi game mice. On the all plastic Logi gaming mice those switches go bad after about 2,000 hours which for me is about 6 months. And they're about the same price as the R.A.T.5 or just a little higher. So hopefully this RAT5 will last longer! I'm hoping for 18 months at least.

I've use my R.A.T.5 now in 3 games. 2 under control of SteerMouse and on under control of Cyborg's own driver and in all three cases the controls over the QL character actions (movement, weapon's changing, firing, etc) felt smoother and more accurate than my G400, G500, MX510, and G5 mice (which btw all now have semi-broken LMB and/or RMB buttons!).

The feeling of the R.A.T.5 under the hand only takes a few hours to adjust to and once adjusted feels very natural and well formed to me. There are 6 of those silicone based (?) pads on the bottom surface for smooth sliding and they look as if they could wear a little on the fast side so we'll have to see how it goes and how long they last.

In all I'm pretty stoked. With my logi mice the feeling was always like "OK, another overpriced plastic mouse replacement - I wonder how long this one will last?" but with this R.A.T.5 so far it's more like "Oooo, superior tech and build, I'm gonna frag some dudes with this!"

YMMV of course.

So that's my recent discovery critiqued here for you all. I hope to read some tips and get some profiles for using this mouse from all you awesome players!

Thanks!
    XWand
    Last edited by XWand; 01-07-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. They look different, thats for sure.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

Yeah, originally I was put off by the looks of them. I thought: "What a gimmick - heh!" But then I tried the display model (a R.A.T.7) and picked it up and looked it over. That changed my opinion rather quickly.

I kinda feel that same about those high-tech vacuum cleaners - Dyson or whatever they're called. At first I thought just another vacuum but with really strange styling. Then after I looked over the functionality of the design it made sense for the quality and performance boost they were achieving. I feel the same about this Cyborg mouse.

Now, Cyborg's gaming keyboards - I may never be sold on them - man, weird!

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    this mouse does not get very good reveiws from gaming comparison sites as i have seen.Its all Razor mostly.I have the Rat 7..Love it.Custom fit it to your hand.And with the Steelseries 9hd pad,it mademy game play better.It works better for me than the others.But thats just me.....

Banned AutoMatiK is an unknown quantity at this point
    once you have a RAT up you, you can't look back. been using one since xmas, it's awesome. weighted, ergonomically sound, fits like a glove. rock and roll. Cyborg RAT 7 all the way.... also the ROCCAT/ARVO mech keyboard is full of win as well.

So it looks like a few here have a R.A.T. mouse? Kewl! So what profiles did you come up with for QL?

Wanna share with the rest of the class?

Senior Member csCadaver is on a distinguished road csCadaver's Avatar
    I have some trouble getting the sidewheel to function in ql. How do I bind that one?
    Took you 2,5 years to notice my signature?
    *smiles*

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    I dont use that one.Seems its in a position that is not easy to get to .In this game you need buttons that are quick at hand.Besides,there are other ones that are,so use them.I just use,,,Right,left,Center and the slow aiming button.Still cant find configs for this game for a Mac.You will have to make one of your own.Dont ask me.I am still working on mine.Im sure you might find someone to help you with that.Good luck..

Member chaTzon is on a distinguished road
    lol these mices look like terminator when he was an embryo
    Im a Nab, dont hold the fire!!!

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    You don't need something this high tech
    Of course it is nice to have
    Does it have accel built into sensor?

+ Reply to Thread