+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kickstarter for servers?

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road

Kickstarter for servers?

Is there anybody here who could tell if it's possible to do a crowd-funding project for QL servers?

I was wondering if id can't afford to rent servers for the people outside the States the EU and Australia, what if the community could make it happen?
    Would it be possible to ask id what server hosting company would they accept in South America, Africa, Central Asia, Japan and on the Middle East, then we would contact those hosting companies and ask them for the price (let's say for 3 years), add up the costs world wide and do a funding project for the money?
    Maybe sponsors could receive some discount or some coupons or something if id could provide some, but the goal still would be to make Quakeing possible for Quakers all around the world.

I don't know much about fund raisers tbh, so sorry if this would never work ... just an idea, nothing more.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    considering people have a moral issue with paying $24 a year I wouldn't be too confident on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    It was done before... sorta.
    It wasn't a kickstarter but still a community effort to get enough money for a server in Italy.
    http://www.esreality.com/post/226608...e-ita-servers/

If you are wondering about the cost and don't want to read the thread, here's this quote:

btw, it depends a lot on server quality (ping, distance from high bandwidth nodes, server cpus, ram, ...), you can easily overcome 3000+EUR/server.

in italy it's between 600 and 1000EUR/year (by choosing a machine like the one we rent, so a bit above QL requirements).
    The big difference is that you seem to want id to receive the money for them to pay for the servers instead of you renting the servers and making it available for id. There are advantages and disadvantages to both but I'm not sure if id would be okay with receiving money. I'd go the same way as the Italian guys instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    It was done before... sorta.
    It wasn't a kickstarter but still a community effort to get enough money for a server in Italy.
    http://www.esreality.com/post/226608...e-ita-servers/

If you are wondering about the cost and don't want to read the thread, here's this quote:

The big difference is that you seem to want id to receive the money for them to pay for the servers instead of you renting the servers and making it available for id. There are advantages and disadvantages to both but I'm not sure if id would be okay with receiving money. I'd go the same way as the Italian guys instead.
    I don't know if id could/should receive the money or not, but it's not really important, me thinks, because all they need is a root access afaik.
    I thought a dedicated box (which you can rent for around 800-1000€/year in the EU) would be more than enough considering how many Q3 servers you can run on such a box compared to the the small playerbase in the said areas, but I didn't really thought about the fact that how "bad" the Internet really is in those parts of the world, and how much more could a good hosting service cost there.

I'm willing to ask around for the price and check the best routes if we can agree on the locations and the must have criteria of the hosting services.

I just asked one of my old mates about SA, and he said that South America still doesn't really have true internet exchanges, and each network is falling back to the "NAP of The Americas" in Miami. So if putting servers into each big network in each country is not possible, than perhaps putting one into Miami could be better than nothing? I wonder how much the ping would be for the SA people there if BR and RA servers are not possible. Would it be around 100-120ms which is still playable, or more like 200 which would be too much?

Member TurtleBay is on a distinguished road
    Given that they no longer have New York servers, I think you guys are getting your hopes up to expect servers in these other locations.

Also, Kickstarter is for projects. A server doesn't have a designed end or goal so Kickstarter would not allow it.

+ Reply to Thread