+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Need some help.......

  1. #1
    *Assessment
    Guest

    Need some help.......

    It seems as time goes by my system or shall i say my game play is getting worse and worse...

    For example I see people moving side to side very fast to avoid my weapon yet I have no vlue how they are doing this.......

    It also seems like some people are firing miltiple shots faster thaan I am.............

    Also it seems as if some of the better people might have their fire and jump binded together....

    Because i notice that when they fire they automaticaslly also jump......

    My system specs are I have a HP m9500z with a ATI Readeon 4770 and my processor is a ATI Phenom 2 X 4 3.0 Ghz and I have a generic logitech mouse.....

    Any assistance would be totally appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,199
    That's matchmaking. As you improve you can see more servers that were blocked before, therefore meeting better players.

    In other words it's not that you got worse or that people started cheating. Now you are seeing the real playerbase (the first tiers are a fraction of it).

    edit: I'm not creative today so here's the vod of today's duel cup (there's at least one every day), as an example of what's possible to do. Preferably watch from QF and onwards.
    http://www.twitch.tv/faceittv/b/354585640
    Last edited by megaman3; 01-06-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

  3. #3
    *Assessment
    Guest
    Not hardly...I understand that you are trying to be helpful...but I am rated in the top teir.....

    Unlike Qauke2 and Quake3....for some reason people here say things like...practice more..play more games...

    In Quake2 people were more open with how they did things......such as double rocket jumping...etc....

    So basically is it a question os equipment...in some cases it could be....
    Or is it a queastion of not finding somebody to tell you how they do things??

    Is it the particular mouse one uses.......CPU speed possibly....videocard....

    I understand there is no short cut to being good that you must practice...

    Yet there are people I can beat quiote easily who still have the back and forth side way movement that I cannot do....
    as in jumping back and forth to dodge weapons fire...etc....

  4. #4
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,199
    It has nothing to do with equipment or secret info. All what you mentioned are the very basics, including dodging (mainly A and D keys), rocket jumping and knowing the pace of the game.

    First of all you are in the lowest ratings of the game (mine is probably 30 times higher lol). I'm telling you this so you know there's a lot of room to improve, which is why I told you to watch that video (at least 5 minutes) so you get a grasp of all what's possible to do in game.

    As I said, what you are experiencing is the barrier between tier3 ffa and tier4. A tier3 player cannot even see tier4 servers until he is tier4 himself, and in those there are better players. Better players dodge, rocket jump, etc.

    What happens now is that the game notices you are not suitable for tier4 now (better players, that dodge etc.) so it demotes you to tier3 (against players that do not dodge etc.), then win some matches on tier3 and get promoted to tier4 and the cycle repeats. It's a common problem that only gets solved by improving so you are suitable for tier4 ffa, or rather not lose all the time when playing on tier4 servers.



    There are plenty of tutorials out there. Start with the episode 1 of http://www.twitch.tv/search?query=le...%20quake&stp=1



    edit: Here's another short example, this time on ffa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNNgy1cc4GM
    Note that him, a regular player (not the top), moves faster, times items on his head, dodges, etc. only because of skill, not equipment or some sort of secret knowledge, even less so cheats as someone wrote at the end of the game.
    Everything is on google, youtube, twitch, etc.; for example youtube quake3 movement tutorial.

    Thing is on tier3 you won't see the servers he plays on (the game blocks it) but when you hit tier4 it will, so you'll face him and probably lose. The funny thing is he (tony) feels the same towards the "mercenaries" as he calls them, that are better players that used to play for money or glory, because he loses to them as badly as you would against him because they are simply better (have more knowledge about the game, think about more aspects, more experience, etc.).
    Last edited by megaman3; 01-06-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

  5. #5
    Senior Member tCrown is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    174
    Don't stay at skill match too long, once you're comfortable with how you are, change to "more challenging", then find your way back to skill match after a while and you will notice you have improved. It's very hard to keep your composure, but you will be thankfull you did this in the end. I'm Tier 4 FFA somehow, and T3 CA.

  6. #6
    *Assessment
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    It has nothing to do with equipment or secret info. All what you mentioned are the very basics, including dodging (mainly A and D keys), rocket jumping and knowing the pace of the game.

    First of all you are in the lowest ratings of the game (mine is probably 30 times higher lol). I'm telling you this so you know there's a lot of room to improve, which is why I told you to watch that video (at least 5 minutes) so you get a grasp of all what's possible to do in game.

    As I said, what you are experiencing is the barrier between tier3 ffa and tier4. A tier3 player cannot even see tier4 servers until he is tier4 himself, and in those there are better players. Better players dodge, rocket jump, etc.

    What happens now is that the game notices you are not suitable for tier4 now (better players, that dodge etc.) so it demotes you to tier3 (against players that do not dodge etc.), then win some matches on tier3 and get promoted to tier4 and the cycle repeats. It's a common problem that only gets solved by improving so you are suitable for tier4 ffa, or rather not lose all the time when playing on tier4 servers.



    There are plenty of tutorials out there. Start with the episode 1 of http://www.twitch.tv/search?query=le...%20quake&stp=1 -- $4.99 a month.....



    edit: Here's another short example, this time on ffa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNNgy1cc4GM
    Note that him, a regular player (not the top), moves faster, times items on his head, dodges, etc. only because of skill, not equipment or some sort of secret knowledge, even less so cheats as someone wrote at the end of the game.
    Everything is on google, youtube, twitch, etc.; for example youtube quake3 movement tutorial.

    Thing is on tier3 you won't see the servers he plays on (the game blocks it) but when you hit tier4 it will, so you'll face him and probably lose. The funny thing is he (tony) feels the same towards the "mercenaries" as he calls them, that are better players that used to play for money or glory, because he loses to them as badly as you would against him because they are simply better (have more knowledge about the game, think about more aspects, more experience, etc.).
    pay to learn...

  7. #7
    *Assessment
    Guest
    I simply am not buying what you are saying....

    Are those people cheating no...but again we have this practice, practice and practice....knowing full well that it`s not just the better people who make these moves....

    Yet we know that in Quake 2 and Quake 3 equipment played a huge part.......

    You take most of these supposed good people and put them in Quakecon where the best play on the same computer...etc..etc.....they lose badly......

    I understand what you are saying but you should understand that equipment really does play a part....

    I do appreciate that you are really trying to help....so with that said...Thank You!!

    I will take your advice!!
    Last edited by Assessment; 01-07-2013 at 01:08 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Assessment View Post
    pay to learn...
    The linked tutorials are completely free, just like every single one available on the interwebz (dozens if not hundreds). Lack of information is not an excuse in quake really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Assessment View Post
    I simply am not buying what you are saying....

    Are those people cheating no...but again we have this practice, practice and practice....knowing full well that it`s not just the better people who make these moves....

    Yet we know that in Quake 2 and Quake 3 equipment played a huge part.......

    You take most of these supposed good people and put them in Quakecon where the best play on the same computer...etc..etc.....they lose badly......

    I understand what you are saying but you should understand that equipment really does play a part....

    I do appreciate that you are really trying to help....so with that said...Thank You!!

    I will take your advice!!
    We are discussing the very basics of fps gaming, like tier1 out of tier20 in quake. That's not related to equipment or playing a million years, as that level can be achieved in a month while using a trackball

    Skill cannot be bought but learned throughout experience (practice and time like everything in life) and lessons (tutorials, as long as you understand them). The better player always wins and the lesser skilled loses.

    Equipment plays a very tiny part: it won't make you magically start dodging and shoot faster, you won't improve by buying a $100 razer mouse, and if it works (no malfunctions) then there are no excuses.
    It's all marketing. Quake is actually a great example as most tournaments (quake2, quake3, quake4, quakelive, etc.) were won using one of the cheapest microsoft mouse from early 2000 or even 1990s (wheel mouse optical and related mice, such as the ime, ime3.0 and the original intellimouse).
    Last edited by megaman3; 01-07-2013 at 03:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kepler-22b
    Posts
    8,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Assessment View Post
    For example I see people moving side to side very fast to avoid my weapon yet I have no vlue how they are doing this..
    If you just strafe back and forth quickly then you're doing it to them.

    It also seems like some people are firing miltiple shots faster thaan I am........
    This is not possible as firing rates and weapon reload times are entirely server side.

    Also it seems as if some of the better people might have their fire and jump binded together....Because i notice that when they fire they automaticaslly also jump......
    Some players use mouse 2 jump, and by default mouse1 is attack so they might press these together accidentally. Jumping can be dangerous though as it limits your motion and can make it easier for your opponent to predict shots on you.

    My system specs are I have a HP m9500z with a ATI Readeon 4770 and my processor is a ATI Phenom 2 X 4 3.0 Ghz and I have a generic logitech mouse.....
    Maybe you could record a demo of yourself playing and post it for us so we could get an idea of what you are experiencing.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Assessment View Post
    Not hardly...I understand that you are trying to be helpful...but I am rated in the top teir.....
    No. No you are not. A simple look at your own profile would tell you as much.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts