+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My fps got low suddenly

*chillpwner

Unhappy My fps got low suddenly

Hello, I play in an old laptop, but still it can handle Quake Live with Decent fps, I've never seen my fps go under 100-110, generally , there are always 3 numbers up there!
    So I was playing normally, with my decent fps (800x600) and then I played a bit the tutorials, I've never played them before and I was just wondering how they look like.

I run them through devmap though, in order to be able to enable cheats, and I binded to ctrl "noclip" ( /bind ctrl "noclip" ).

But anyway everything was fine... I went out, browsed through the internet a bit, saw a few videos and then launched Quake Live again. Before I quit last time, I have edited a bit the the video options though (as well as the HUD and control options) , and my config is set to "High Performance" . so when I went to my favourite map, that I get all the time 125 fps, I was amazed having 50-80 fps and sometimes going to 37 FPS. It was a really big shock for me. I thought "Ok, I messed up my config, better delete it" so did I, I found how to reset your config and I made it again.
    Just to check, the only thing I did was to set the config to "High Performance"
    But the low FPS were back there. and then I remembered that I have set the r_fullbright back to 0 sometime, then I checked and saw that fullbright was set to 1 (not to 1 though but to 1.0000 which is the same I guess? ) so I was really confused why that happens.

It's definitely not my crappy PC. if it was able to run Quake Live properly for 2 weeks, i don't see why it would have a problem now.

Any suggestions? Having an overheated laptop, .exe thingies running on the background, chrome is being an *ss, or antivirus scanning stuff scenarios have all been checked.
    Temperature running at 55,
    Having only what I want in .exe,
    I run QL through the QL browser thingie,
    I simply don't have an Antivirus cause I use Windows for gaming only and I have to go to a site as well as download something like ages, so I don't have a Virus.

Any help would be welcome, I could unnistall the game though and do everything from scratch, but i hope there is a better solution :/

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar
    Try disabling post process / bloom. Also check in task manager (ctrl + shift + esc) what processes are eating cpu and ram. Sometimes it happens on my desktop as well. Closing and reopening chrome and qlprism helps.

*chillpwner
    Ok, when that was happening, i checked to see if i enabled anything of the PP or Bloom thingies or if i had any option like vSync and stuff ON, and everything was disabled or set to low/ high performance etc. I will check and see about the other thing ^^ (will restart PC as well basically)

*chillpwner
    *EDIT*

Ok PC got restarted, saw if it the problem got fixed, but the problem still remains :/ checked task manager : Nothing suspicious runs, CPU and RAM are not being overused by something.
    Something I thought was that even when I reseted my config, the custom value I HAVE set to r_fullbright was still there. so this dvar and I asssume other commands are being storaged somewhere and I think that the problem is somewhere on that config file. which i suppose is not the same config file with the file it is being reseted by doing "set settings to default" through the webpage.

Because, If r_fullbright was being storaged on the same config file as the settings/video settings etc. then it had to get reseted as well (go back at 0) , but also, it is not the only thing that remained the r_mode (resolution) was again at the same value I have set it, even though QL sets the default resolution in Desktop resolution. I am not very comfortable going through the config files through appdata since i am not experienced with the QL config files , so any experienced guy could help? ;D

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Try this:

\writeconfig chill

Then paste the contents of chill.cfg into a pastebin.com and give us the link here. Then we can see what settings you are using and give recommendations.

*chillpwner
    ok done it, but where can i find the chill.cfg ? cant find it inside the baseq3

nvm found it and uploading it now

*chillpwner

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chillpwner View Post
    Wow, you managed to find the most annoying place on the internet to post a config. Even after I recommended using pastebin.

Not only will it not let me download the file, it won't let me highlight across pages.

Luckily I figured out that if you remove 'view' from the hyperlink and just do mediafire.com/?2750ai0rmd2r7wv it let's you download it.

Anyways, I looked through it and most of the obvious stuff is set for performance. I thought your brightness settings were rather odd, namely overbrightbits 2 and fullbright 1. When I tested overbrightbits I had a negligible performance impact at any value (oddly enough 0 tested slowest).

I also got a tiny bit better performance from using fullbright 1 so it is not a culprit.

A couple things to consider though:

Lower your fov. 130 is very high for 800x600, and a higher fov is harder to render and can lower fps.

The other thing is to try adjusting s_mixahead:

Lower it from its default of 0.140 in increments of 0.01 until you hear sound crackling or the sound cuts out/repeats. I can go as low as 0.07 and this has a huge impact on timedemo scores. It's hard to say how this translates to fps increases in-game but it's definitely worth a shot.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Wow, you managed to find the most annoying place on the internet to post a config. Even after I recommended using pastebin.

Not only will it not let me download the file,
    :O I just pressed Download in the upper right corner and it worked for me.

*chillpwner
    ah, tested that s_mixahead command, I don't see any fps improvement plus the sound is annoying with those "cracking sounds" (from 0.01 to 0.05 i did not had sound at all, and at 0.06 and 0.07 heard the cracks with better sound quality at 0.07)
    But anyway, looking a bit more at the forums here and on the internet, i found that i am not the only one having this problem, there are a lot of people with really decent PC's that they get low fps on QL , or they started getting low fps after some point

Nah, It is not the Fov's fault, I always play with the biggest fov available in any game for larger field of view

Sorry it was my first time sing pastebin,. and i did not know what to do :P

I cant actually get stable 125 fps even if i look at the ground (goes somewhere 95-105) and if i play the practice map : rocket jumping tutorial thingie, i have like 50-70 fps ussually from he 125 fps stable i used to have :/

I might try re-installing quake, make a new acc (since i read somewhere your config is saved online as well , so u get the same config even if u go to another pc) and will come back and say (:

+ Reply to Thread