+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to use sound effectively in quake?

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tCrown View Post
    The biggest thing you need is a very good headset,
    Quakelive has one of the buggiest and worst sound engine ever, it's also worse than what we had in Q3 times, not to mention the early Quake3 versions with the A3D2 support, but even ioquake3 is a little better with supporting OpenAL at least.

The higher soundstage of pro headphones gave some advantage in Q3A because we were able to hear distant noises better, but it gives no difference in QL whatsoever, I can use a piece which worth no more than 2 Euros and hear the very same things what I hear with an expensive one.
    Any kind of headset will perfectly do for QL, and buying a good and expensive headset only to play this game is definitely overkill and not worth it. (but it's still recommended since you do many other things with your computer which are all much better to do with a great headphone)

Quote Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
    Any other ways to use sound?
    Sound is very important, because you can hear things what you might not see
    - You can hear it of you hit somebody, even if you are not looking (a rocket for example), and you can also hear the amount of damage you dealt.
    - You can hear items/powerups spawning and/or if somebody picks it up
    - Footsteps and other noises of sneaking or moving (jumping/running) enemies (that's why most of the players like to use Keel or TankJR for enemymodel, because their very unique sounds.

Generally, the ability to perceive sound in a gaming world is just as crucial as how it is in real life.

Thanks for the help. I know i have made lots of threads but i need the help.
    That's the main purpose of the forum, me thinks, so you are doing exactly what you supposed to do here :-)

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Can you hear footsteps even with the buggy sound on quake still?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Can you hear footsteps even with the buggy sound on quake still?
    If you're close enough..

What do items sound like when they spawn?

Senior Member SquirrlWrangler is on a distinguished road SquirrlWrangler's Avatar
    What do items sound like when they spawn?
    Just pick up an item like red armor or Guard and wait until it respawns.

*oxymoron
    improving sound:

good soundcard (im using a pro audio card->m-audio)
    good headphones (sennheiser or akg)
    amplifier (but im not sure if the amp really gives better quality sound)

soundcard changes a lot!

*Gentoo64
    I use the HD650's they're comfortable and sound good but I wouldn't be able to hear more with them than a cheaper pair.

I'm not a fan of IEM's I find they make the sound too boxed in it's sort of mad makes you paranoid lol but they do block out more outside noise.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    What I've found is that there is a dramatic difference in what you can and cannot hear using different headphones. On my Sennheisers I could not hear footsteps at all unless I turned up volume uncomfortably loud.

On the other hand, using a cheap pair of Jabra cell phone earbuds I can hear people so well that I can almost aim by sound alone. It was almost like a wallhack. So, playing Campgrounds in CA, for example, you can stay hidden under the bridge and know exactly where people on the bridge are. Or you can stay by the door way leading from bridge to the high platform near mega and shoot rockets at people by sound alone. It's also almost impossible for people to hide from you unless they actually walk.

With my new pair of Jabra sports (old ones broke), sound is not that great anymore. So I think it's very hit or miss and more expensive is definitely not necessarily better. With the more expensive headphones you may have to get an amplifier to make them work as well as the earbuds.
    Last edited by jigglyboobs; 03-02-2013 at 05:40 PM.

So earbuds are better than headphones?
    What should your volume be to hear footsteps and those things?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglyboobs View Post
    What I've found is that there is a dramatic difference in what you can and cannot hear using different headphones. On my Sennheisers I could not hear footsteps at all unless I turned up volume uncomfortably loud.
    Probably you could simply adjust the EQ such that the normal frequency of QL game sounds are made louder.

+ Reply to Thread