+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are the tiers now?

Member skeletonface is on a distinguished road

What are the tiers now?

I keep hearing people say there are 5 tiers now, or some people say there are 6. The tier rating bit on the page here still says there are 4. Where does each tier begin and end? It used to go up to 100, but I checked my rating on a CTF server and it was 111. I'm tier 4 on CTF according to the stats page, but the bar is all gold with no red. Is THAT tier 5? I notice on FFA I'm tier 4, but the bottom portion of the bar is still red. I checked my rating on a CA server and it was only 39. How can that be the case? I was tier 4 on CA, though recently dropped to 3.
    I hear people saying the ratings aren't accurate, but I guess it depends on the player. I never tier-slum or winjoin, or dodge a shuffle that puts me in a nooby team, and I only play on unrestricted servers during the Xmas holiday. (Oh, and that annoying one on Halloween where everyone just camped on the damn roof)
    Anyway...what's the TRUTH about the tiers now? How many are there, and what skill rating does each tier encompass?

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    ca, ctf, tdm and ffa tiers are determined by being on the 3 first or last positions on the board. Get to top3 (no matter if it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd) = +3 skillrating.

As you can see it's incredibly flawed and cannot be accurate (I have 999 skillrating on ca rofl), but duel is even worse. At least all duelers use qlranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    There's only 4 tiers.
    However, duel tiers aren't really "realistic" and they don't use the same kind of skillmatching.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    ca, ctf, tdm and ffa tiers are determined by being on the 3 first or last positions on the board. Get to top3 (no matter if it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd) = +3 skillrating.

As you can see it's incredibly flawed and cannot be accurate (I have 999 skillrating on ca rofl), but duel is even worse. At least all duelers use qlranks.
    It isn't the top 3, it's the top third. And the bottom third gives the opposite result. I'm not sure about the +/- 3 either so don't take that as a confirmation.
    It's really not that bad. It's only flawed for the worst and best players in the playerbase. But, yeah, it's still very far from perfect.

Also, duel uses some sort of very volatile Elo (or a close variation), not this system.

To answer OP, there are still 4 tiers. The only differences are that the skillrating is now caped at 999 instead of 100 and if you have 100 or more you get a gold bar. Nothing else was modified.

Junior Member 68k is on a distinguished road
    I've reached the point where I basically can't progress. I'm either dominating a T3 game or getting absolutely shredded when I get bumped to T4. It's a vicious cycle every time I log on these days. The game actually encourages me to want to do worse if I want to have fun, even though I'd prefer to get better.
    Last edited by 68k; 01-03-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Banned AutoMatiK is an unknown quantity at this point
    4, there used to be 5 (ah, Beta). don't worry, if you go up a tier, you'll be down before you know due to some dude with a phantom account pwning your ***, with hax. or a premium account dude just "having fun"

Senior Member pwnstar is on a distinguished road pwnstar's Avatar
    What skillrating do you need in duel to get a gold bar?
    Im sv_skillrating 30 and I have one...

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    It isn't the top 3, it's the top third. And the bottom third gives the opposite result. I'm not sure about the +/- 3 either so don't take that as a confirmation.
    It's really not that bad. It's only flawed for the worst and best players in the playerbase. But, yeah, it's still very far from perfect.

Also, duel uses some sort of very volatile Elo (or a close variation), not this system.

To answer OP, there are still 4 tiers. The only differences are that the skillrating is now caped at 999 instead of 100 and if you have 100 or more you get a gold bar. Nothing else was modified.
    It's the exact same I said but with more words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member Ph4nt0m is on a distinguished road Ph4nt0m's Avatar
    Not sure whether you guys have seen this, but there's an ictf stats website that implements TrueSkill ranking system to gauge players in team modes.
    I checked the US iCTF ranking (as I am familiar with the top players there) and it looks legit.
    http://ictf-stats.com/players

Wouldn't pretend I know a lot about ranking systems, but anyone have any ideas, whether this is a better system? (looks good at first glance)
    The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground

Member skeletonface is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post

Yeah, that sounds dumb. Like, in CTF, there are just different types of players. Some people kick ass and kill everyone in sight, but if they don't bother with the flag, they finish low in the rankings. When I play CTF I know that some players will go right after the flag, one or two will stay back and defend, and a few will go camp in the arena to rack up kills, so I usually adopt the role of flag-retriever, which doesn't give many points.
    The same flaws exist with CA. Often, I will have the fewest kills on my team, yet still have done the most damage. Obviously, the guy who has done the most damage is a better player than the guy with the most frags. I see people with twice the kills I have, who have done half the damage. I dunno if they are hiding and just picking off weakened opponents or what, but they are racking up the skill-rating points, while players like myself are trying to just get our team the win.
    I've never played a duel yet, so I dunno about that one. I guess FFA can be fairly ranked: Gain ranking for kills; lose it for deaths/self-kills. But team games are so different. As I said, being a good team player doesn't necessarily mean doing the things that get you points.

+ Reply to Thread