+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ping/routing to DE/NL [why did you change it]

*iuvenalis

Ping/routing to DE/NL [why did you change it]

In recent month(s)/weeks there was a major change in routing to de/nl servers, servers which are most popular in whole Europe and where most players are playing (hello captain obvious).

And sadly for most players (about ~80%) who I've been talking to (pl/dk/ru/hu/es/cze/slo/it even de lol), the change was horrible, for myself including. I have really good connection, my ping to de/nl was great - 33/40, now it's literally bad - 65/70, which is a HUGE difference, the game feels not as juicy as it used to be.

Why did you change anything, really?

I would buy premium again, but this change makes me not want to touch QL much more.

I don't want to hear people saying 'oh you had 35 to de? I play on 50 all the time, dont cry' since I don't really care. Having good connection should be rewarding, that's it. And having 65 ping to de from Poland, while in any other game it's 40 max, is kinda mind blowing

What are you thoughts? Is there a hope for a reversal change?

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    ID Software (Quake Live) has nothing to do with their customer's routing. Routing changes are ISP based, so I would recommend speaking with your provider, not ID.

It's possible your IP changed which could have landed you on a less advantageous subnet/route to the Quake Live servers. There are several threads that speak about this and possible remedies to this issue.

Once again, QLive has nothing to do with your routing issues.

Junior Member Slayerduck is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    ID Software (Quake Live) has nothing to do with their customer's routing. Routing changes are ISP based, so I would recommend speaking with your provider, not ID.

It's possible your IP changed which could have landed you on a less advantageous subnet/route to the Quake Live servers. There are several threads that speak about this and possible remedies to this issue.

Once again, QLive has nothing to do with your routing issues.
    Orly? QLive has indeed something to do with the routing.

I contacted http://www.i3d.nl/ -> (QuakeLive's hosting service for de/Nl servers) and they said that they're going to tracer my ip back so they can do something against the ping changes.

Also yesterday i was on my friends house, and he have DSL 6,000 (5mb down / 2mb up) and it should give (30-35ms) like i had on Battlefield 3, then i started to play QL.

The mind blowing thing was, on DE/NL/Romania/Poland/Russia servers i got ping 70-75ms and on some servers i got 50 ms such as Italia, Romania.

So why do i get 30ms on another game (Battlefield 3) and ****ing ping problems at QL? There's really something wrong with the providers form QL.

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar
    c3 is right, only thing id can do, is tear contract with i3d.net (DE/Frankfurt server hosting company) and find other hosting company. And it doesn't mean routing issues will be mitigated. Given that DE servers are most played in Europe, there always will be issues from certain ISPs with routing to them. I play on DE servers 99.9% of the time (else my ping is 85-120ms) and most of people are within 40-50ms range. I find a LOT of people with 20-30ms range. Only handful of poor guys like me and you with 70+ms

Slayerduck

You can check trace from i3d.net back to your IP from their NOC page yourself. Go to http://noc.i3d.net/looking-glass.php , enter your public IP address to the field, pick Frankfurt route-server and issue trace. There you will be able to see what AS (ISP) paths packet has to travel from i3d to your home. There may be hops hidden, but you will get general idea where your ping worsens.

Bottom line is, call your ISP and ask them to switch you to the best route to AS49544 / 91.198.152.0/24 . Research other ISPs' connectivity to your favorite server ranges and switch if better.

i have also a ping increase to quake live de and nl servers since some weeks.
    c3 is horribly wrong.
    routing is affected by the combination of your internet provider and the server hoster.
    i can ping servers in the same cities as the quake live servers are, with half of the latency.
    that is why it cant be my internet provider's fault.

Junior Member ev0lution_ is on a distinguished road
    a router from vodafone is broken since 1.10

+ Reply to Thread