+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infinite awaiting challenge

Junior Member iouonegirl is on a distinguished road

Infinite awaiting challenge

Hello you all,

I'm a big fan of the game, but the problem is that I can only can play Quake on a low-signal wifi of the campus I live in.
    Since i keep lagging, I would love to be able to play through my LAN-cable.
    However, when I try to connect through my LAN network, the awaiting challenge keeps counting to infinity.
    It's the LAN network from the dormitories so I can't reach/reset/control the network.
    I use Google Chrome on Win7 64bit.

Does anyone think they can help me please?
    -Iou

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    I think you will need to ask the dorm admin to open some port for you. I don't think that's gonna be a problem if those ports are already open on the wifi. Asking somebody won't do harm and Girls always get what they want anyway;]

But you can also try to use different port, perhaps somebody is already playing from the dorm: open the console and type /net_port 27987;net_restart [end hit ENTER of course]

Forgot to tell that Quakelive uses TCP port 5222 (for XMPP) and UDP ports 27000-27999 (for game traffic), so these are the ports the communication must be allowed both in the router and in the firewall.

Junior Member iouonegirl is on a distinguished road
    Ok thank you! I hope they will open it, because they might say the network is for educational purposes only ;-)
    I don't think someone else is playing, because it's not really popular here, and I always get this problem on lan.

So how do I use another port?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by iouonegirl View Post
    So how do I use another port?

Thanks for the help!
    You are welcome.

QL needs very little bandwidth so it won't hurt the network bandwidth there, but you might be right and perhaps they will block in on the WIFI too if they are against these kind of activity....so be careful, investigate a little around and try to find out what kind of a person the admin before you ask.

I already gave you the answer about the port. Quakelive uses UDP ports starting from 27960 by default, so 27987 (what you would use after issuing /net_port 27987;net_restart in the console) is probably free from other QL or Q3 users. The console can be opened by pressing CTRL+ALT+TILDE (tilde is the button under ESC). You can set it in practice mode as well, QL will remember.
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 12-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread