+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't install QUAKE

Junior Member Vertie is on a distinguished road

Can't install QUAKE

Hello, I need help in installing quake. Every time I try to install the file needed to play this (Or more specifically, QuakeLiveNP_520.msi) I get a error saying "Application not found".

So I came up with the idea of trying to install it again but this time not in my browser but in my downloads folder. A window pops up asking me what program do I want to use in opening the file, since it's an msi file I immediately thought of using the 'windows installer'

But I can't seem to find the program. Can someone help me? The windows installer should run automatically every time I open a msi file but now I'm stuck with this problem.

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar
    If you're running windows XP, download this registry script. Extract, double click and press yes. It will fix .msi file associations.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/msi_assoc.zip

Junior Member Vertie is on a distinguished road
    I run Windows 7. And I already tried that, but with no success.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertie View Post
    I run Windows 7. And I already tried that, but with no success.
    You can also try to reinstall the installer package, that might help, or try to make a new user account with admin rights and see if it's also happening there or not, but something is obviously wrong with your setup there.

First off all, do a following steps: open command prompt with admin rights (type cmd in the start menu search box and right click on the popped up CMD icon and click on "Run as Administrator")
    - chkdsk c: /f (or change c: to the drive-letter of your system drive if it's something different. Will only do it after reboot)
    - sfc /scannow (this gonna take a while)
    - ftype msi.package (and report back here what this returns with)
    - assoc .msi (and report back here what this returns with)
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 12-30-2012 at 08:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread