+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Usb Mouse Polling Rate

Junior Member BoLyDuDe is on a distinguished road

Usb Mouse Polling Rate

I have read about the mouse polling rate and have downloaded the bits of software and followed there instructions - when i check my new actual polling rate i get a reading around 190 on average.
    is this because i am using a cheapo mouse and it wont go any higher, or is it limited by my slow laptop as i have read it is cpu dependant.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    what mouse exactly do you have?

Junior Member marduk is on a distinguished road
    190 is very strange.. Post a screenshot of your test

+ Cheap mice should not get higher than 125
    Last edited by marduk; 12-29-2012 at 09:38 AM.

its a random cheap 5 optical mouse thats about 6 years old.
    i have played a good few games since running the polling rate software, and i dont know if its a placebo effect or not, but i seem to be playing better and hitting more rails.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BoLyDuDe View Post
    its a random cheap 5 optical mouse thats about 6 years old.
    i have played a good few games since running the polling rate software, and i dont know if its a placebo effect or not, but i seem to be playing better and hitting more rails.
    I asked because perhaps we could tell you if it's placebo or not if we would know which sensor your mouse is actually using. Some mice can't be overclocked or altering the polling rate has no benefits at all while others might improve and skip less, so it's different for every mice. Even the surface you are using can alter the tracking characteristics of the mouse, so this is a complex subject and I think it's the best if you just keep using it if it feels better.

Try to move the mouse really fast when you measure the polling speed, because it won't stay at the overclocked speed unless it's needed by the amount of incoming data.

Yes, increasing the polling rate increases CPU usage too, but it's not really an issue if you don't go above 500Hz, or if you use 1000Hz but with a modern CPU (e.g.: i3 or i5). You can check this by opening the task manager (without anything else running) and clicking on the performance tab. Start moving the mouse really fast (draw circles), if it goes up to 20-25% or above, you might wanna use a lower Hz because it will affect other threads.

Also be advised that the tweaked hidusb.sys known to wear off usb ports much faster, and while it's not really an issue if you plan to change your mobo in every 3-4 years, it's still possible your OC-ed port will start to produce more and more errors which eventually increase CPU usage even further making the overclock useless and counterproductive at the end.
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 12-30-2012 at 07:23 AM.

thanks for the reply - the mouse is a "sumvision" cheapo thing so i dont think it will have any form of quality laser.
    Didn't know that about wearing-out usb ports, thats good to know.
    i have the same mouse also running on my much faster desktop, maybe i ought to try it on that aswell to see if i get the same or faster results.
    my original post is when running off an amd sempron wireless laptop.

+ Reply to Thread