+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holiday iCTF is here and gone another year... reflecting.

*0r4d4r

Holiday iCTF is here and gone another year... reflecting.

This was the second year of winters edge. I just thought I'd reflect and see if anyone has any of their own thoughts or input.

So another season of winters edge came, along w/ the awesome regular Q2edge and warehouse. I was happy.
    Once again I managed to herd volumes of noobN keels into trying ramp jumps. If you were there u know! :P
    Although I feel the iFreeze totally sucked away from the iCTF scene, it probably wouldn't have be so bad if it wasn't just 2-3 weeks out of the year.
    I noticed many people like to get a special alias going for the holiday festivities. A new one every year?

I seriously think ramp jumps should be part of the insta game mode by deafult. It adds a whole different element to the monotony of rails and gaunts, inspires newer players to explore movement, ask questions and open up the way to advance in skill w/o having to screw around w/ custom weapon senses * dear god... * and other config douchery.

I felt the crowd of people wanting to try this year was bigger, and there were previous friends from last year joining in on the ramp hax. I'm not sure if using ramp jumping requires cpma physics but I can tell the servers are different feeling... or I think I can? No desire to add defrag style gaming, as I saw the impact of division just between iCtf and iFT, but getting ramp jumping for insta or maybe CA gametypes also I think it would allow those who want to get all their defrag moves in, have an outlet somewhere in Quakelive. But this isn't suggestion forums right?

I even watched vids on you tube and found ones I missed or wasn't good enough to try last year, and added to my rampery hax!

All in all, yeah winter edge holiday iFT rocks. I will be back next year if it is.
    Ok let the trolling commence.
    Last edited by 0r4d4r; 12-27-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    The ramp jumping isn't "CPMA" physics at all (For one, the 'word' you're looking for is "PQL"); it's a separate feature that can be enabled by a Pro user. However, with PQL turned on, rampjumping is automatically turned on as well.

As for the iFT holiday server themselves, they are only Unranked and have Rampjumping turned on. Nothing else is different.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    check the prem requests forum and my latest two posts in there.
    support the idea of being able to spawn an extra mode for a month (for everyone to join ofc) instead of having samplers and rotate them along with the maps while they're at it.

this would be to keep the unused modes more attractive, that and the option of lets say if freeze-tag is in progress, that people have the option to spawn the insta version of it. i.e. 1flag-ctf and insta-1flag-ctf and so on.

btw,

its the third year of winters edge. u just weren't around for its 'birth' on ql :P

*0r4d4r
    Danstar: Actually I was here... been since beta if ya know me. But you definitely reminded me to go see a doctor about memory loss.

I am going to be purchasing premium soon, I want to support more than just being a body to shoot. But I think insta should have the double jumps by default. It would be way less monotonous w/ the added ability to navigate maps different through learned jumps. I am fairly sure there is still a large group of non-paying, ( we do watch ads when they work ) players, so it is just another segregation in the player base. The game mode is unrestricted which makes for even better grounds to dink around and practice in a game mode that doesn't impact stats... not that I give a care about those awesome numbers. I'm sure some old vets would be tickled to see something different too.

This is the 3rd year indeed, (Fak time slow down!) and it still just amazes me how many players don't know or care to try strafing and such. W/o good advice or demonstration it is intimidating. I had to learn on cold run .
    I think ramp jumps, ( double jumps w/e ) would be a better stepping stone to bring people into the herd of Qlive players w/ a more realistic goal, than a intimidating strafe obstacle course, or saying, " HEY, try b2r. It basically only requires a perfect circle jump! " Then again I don't know it all. But I know as a player of 3+ years the new challenge grabs my attention.

It really wasn't a suggestion post, more like opinion about the dynamics of insta gameplay and particularly moreso how some players gravitated towards the cool trickery, and didn't rage immediately, more like 5 rounds in .

Pikaluva: Yes PQL is the term, I am a huge QL fan but most of my lingo stems from Q3 I spose. Wow I am surprised because I feel my jumping distance is longer, my air control is sharper and when I go join a iCTF directly after it feels normal. R u sure ramp jumping is the only change on holiday servers?

Anyhow I hope people return next year.

Happy Holidays.
    Last edited by 0r4d4r; 12-28-2012 at 11:59 AM.

hf with that then i do recommend pro tho - cus its superior on every level, starting with the ability to invite 5 friends and hosting whatever game you want.

in fact the edge is popular every year, dont worry bout it being the same next year, it will. i personally like insta freeze more than the normal FT. it feels like the mode itself should be available to everyone more often, not just during christmas or when a sampler is active (which usually doesnt provide the insta version of the mode itself and that sucks ).

spawning servers for as long as we want is a great idea btw, i find it a bit silly that after 15mins of emptiness our servers just vanish. why not have the option to leave it up for at least an hour or 24 hours.

*0r4d4r
    Yeah I still haven't even learned the payment policies and prices. Maybe they should advertise the premium membership more than not. Spam info. Couldn't hurt.

I didn't know the servers don't stay open in X amount of time. I betchya server uptime == $$ is the driving motive on that. Especially if a leased server.
    Even if they have in house hardware, which I doubt seeing the trends to use cloud lately, still costs electricity and overhead of maintenance. And I doubt letting people host their own physical servers is out of the question.
    Surprised they don't have an PRO* option that opts in 5$ more a month or w/e to have dedicated.

One thing I think they should do is make the Xmas tree lights blink and do patterns like real xmas lights. would be too cool for school.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0r4d4r View Post
    Pikaluva: Yes PQL is the term, I am a huge QL fan but most of my lingo stems from Q3 I spose. Wow I am surprised because I feel my jumping distance is longer, my air control is sharper and when I go join a iCTF directly after it feels normal. R u sure ramp jumping is the only change on holiday servers?
    According to the server settings, it only showed Unranked and Rampjump. If there's any other differences then they're one of the ones that's not listed (gravity would be listed there, so that's not it)

sure, leased servers - but you, me (everyone) pay for a full year and its features. helping the game be more active by providing available servers to join should be part of the deal (like in every other game in the world).

*B4ZE
    Good read, i agree with all what you said.

+ Reply to Thread