+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Map Cycling

Junior Member sotovkin is on a distinguished road

Question about Map Cycling

Hi All,

I understand that maps are swapped out every month. Some of the maps I like are unavailable now.

I am a standard member here, as in I don't pay (other than suffer through advertisements.)

If I subscribe in some form will I have access to all maps at all times?

Thanks guys,

sotovkin

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    If you subscribe to Premium, you can join Pro-spawned servers which may or may not be "Premium" servers.

However, if you subscribe to Pro, then you can spawn servers and therefore play on any map of your choosing.

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Hi Sotovkin,

If you subscribe you will be able to play any map you like at peak times. At off-peak game times you may be stuck playing public servers with limited maps. If you upgrade to a pro-subscription you can launch your own servers with any map you like.

If you have a large friendslist I recommend going pro (especially if none of your friends are pro). Then when you want a game you simply fire up a premium server and invite all your buddies. This works very well for me personally, but I have heard other people have a harder time getting a game started.

If you go premium you will be able to join other premium servers. This means you are at the whim of other pro players for server spawning. There are some persistant premium servers that Id launches and you will always have access to these. Sometimes these servers are slow to fill up since pro-spawned servers are pushed to the top of your server browser once you subscribe.

If you mostly play in the evenings and if you live in the US or the EU then you should not have much of a problem getting some good CA or Freezetag games in. CTF and TDM games usually require a little more planning as there are typically only a few populated servers each evening. If you go pro and launch a domination server you will be surprised how fast it fills up!

In short, yes, you will have access to all the maps. How much utility you get out of that access is up to you.

It is pretty cheap to buy pro or premium for one month just as a trial run and I would recommend this course of action.

Good luck!

Junior Member sotovkin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks PMpikaluva13, and a *big* thanks to CoolMike for the thorough answer.

Glad to be in such good company.

Pro it is!

Happy New Years fellas.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    It's not about having access to maps per se but to servers that host them.

Right now you can join standard servers with a certain mappool (which yes, changes every month) or premium/pro servers with all maps IF you get invited to one.
    Once you subscribe, you can join the premium/pro servers at will, no need for an invitation.

As for offline play, maps are stored in QL's files on your hard drive, so you can access any map in Practice mode provided you've downloaded it. This includes premium maps normally unavailable on standard servers.

edit
    apparently I opened this tab half an hour ago and didn't refresh, because it showed only the OP. Oh well.

+ Reply to Thread