+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with Strafe + Circle Jumping

Junior Member sakarauka1 is on a distinguished road

Need help with Strafe + Circle Jumping

Hi guys,

I've been attempting to improve my strafe and circle jumping recently. Previously I was content with just being able to pass qztraining and lane 1 of raztrainql but I wanted to improve upon that considerably. So with a bit of practice I managed to clear lanes 2 and 3. The improvement was due to faster flicks when changing strafe direction.

I cannot however get past lane 4. I can reach ~500 ups on the circle jump and reach about 1050 ups right before I impact on final ledge but it's just short of allowing me to reach the other side. I can't see what I'm doing wrong so I'm hoping you can look over the demo and tell what I'm missing (besides the ledge :P )

Thanks
    Attached Files

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    without downloading the demo, if you are talking about lane4 in raztrainql then what you should do is more mouse movement as you get faster. Then when you master lane4 in ql it's time to try defrag (q3, watch youtube tutorials)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    what you should do is more mouse movement as you get faster
    That's vague and pretty inaccurate. The flicks get bigger indeed BUT the slow adjustments that follow get even smaller.

gonna watch the demo in a moment

edit
    Well, yeah, that's about it If you watch the demo closely, you will notice that there's a short period every time you flick when there's no acceleration. They get pretty long around 7th-8th jump so you want that flick as quick as possible. Can't remove the gap completely, but quickness and precision will give you these extra 50 UPS here.
    Also there's the matter of adjusting - sometimes you don't flick enough and then adjust too quickly, which isn't optimal.
    Really, you're doing lane 4, all there's left to do is some fine tuning here and there. Actually, I daresay practicing full lanes at this point is pretty meaningless - you will very rarely do more than 5 consecutive jumps in-game anyway; better to optimise the beginning instead. If I were you, I would move to lane 6 or 7.
    Last edited by Limbless_Pony; 12-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Senior Member Raz0rblade is on a distinguished road Raz0rblade's Avatar
    You´re already good when it comes to lanes. The trick for harder lanes is after u flicked move your mouse slowly towards the side you are pointing. Maybe try doublebeat/halfbeat theese are a lot easyer than singlebeat-strafing. I did not played much QL for some time but i can make a demo for doing lane4 halfbeat, but im not better than u in singlebeat

As megaman3 said try Defrag if u can. We have a special HUD there which shows u the correct strafeangles - its called cgaz. Too bad we dont have this in QL.
    Last edited by Raz0rblade; 12-26-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Junior Member sakarauka1 is on a distinguished road
    I've got defrag working but don't really play it that often. Something just doesn't seem right when I try to practice in that game. I've heard that the physics are slightly different and that's probably what's putting me off at the moment. I'd like to make use of the hud however and have seen previously that it's possible to open up a ql demo in defrag in order to take advantage of the hud. I don't know how I'd get that to work unfortunately.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Defrag is overrated.
    Also there's hardly any point in using cgaz hud for QL demos if the physics are different (= hud indicators are inaccurate), right?

*cy4n1d3dr34m
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Defrag is overrated.
    Also there's hardly any point in using cgaz hud for QL demos if the physics are different (= hud indicators are inaccurate), right?
    This ^^^

If you don't practice in live games, don't be surprised if the training courses are mainly making you good at the training courses. "Practice makes permanent" a good player once said. Many maps requiring timing of your start point, require you to let go of some speed a jump prior to hit the next jump, and/or require turning in one direction for a couple of jumps. and mainly I haven't seen one yet that will let you get up to 1000 ups other than overlord n silent night.

+ Reply to Thread