+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Announcer says the word "perfect", but it couldn't get any less perfect

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road

The Announcer say the word "perfect", but server modifications make this claim false

The title of this thread makes this sound like a bug, but it is not a bug, but merely a case of under-development of a gametype... This is something I have implemented myself in the Start a Match settings...

It just doesn't make sense to have the same number of points for elimination and capture.... While I can understand the thought process that concluded this, it creates a Clan Arena, and not a CTF environment.... It usually ends up with one team focused on touching the flag (this is mostly child's play), and then focusing 100 percent on eliminating the other team, which defeats the purpose of a CTF gametype.... Here are my scorings:

Capture: 3
    Elimination: 2
    Touch: 1

Now, if somebody has the flag, and decides to run with it and his teammates are still alive at the enemy base, it follows that they should not kill the other team, for that would be elimination... The other team should bait themselves so that they hope to be eliminated rather than endure more points from a cap.... There are many more situations, but I feel that this is the ideal number of points assigned to each action to encourage ideal use of strategy.....

But now to the title of the post... It DOES NOT help encourage people to cap and not eliminate in certain circumstances when after elimination the announcer exclaims "perfect".... If the software developer is going to allow us to modify settings, then why make it so that in game theatrics only support the default settings... I got so frustrated by this last time I set up an A&D server for encouraging people to mindlessly eliminate when they easily could have capped, that I nearly lost my temper... I immediately disconnected the server, and promised myself I wouldn't make Attack and Defend again until the announcer stopped saying perfect for any elimination... What if I made elimination 1 points and capture 5 points (now I wouldn't do that, but I should be able to)? Then "perfection" would be considered to be obtaining 4 points less than possible (assuming you had touched the flag first before elimination)...

PS: The same thing goes for Red Rover (Infected or Regular) when the survivors are printed on the screen after each round.... Except this doesn't even make sense for default settings... It is just a piece of irrelevant info, since I could be the last survivor each round, but if I don't make a single kill I don't stand a chance at winning.... This is why I seldom host infected anymore... It is misleading..
    Last edited by RockvilleRideOn; 01-04-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    you are absolutely right.

f1

I'm sorry, but nobody seems to be paying attention to these important threads anymore, it's sad...

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post
    I'm sorry, but nobody seems to be paying attention to these important threads anymore, it's sad...
    Currently devs are on holiday, having good time
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...2-Winter-Break

Junior Member opcion is on a distinguished road
    f1

10chars

Senior Member MexicanPadre is on a distinguished road
    F1

It's more important to cap than to eliminate, then you'll just be playing CA, where one round you get a point and the next you don't.

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    So if the enemy is about to cap, you try to kill yourself, and your team will be rewarded. This does not make a lot of sense.
    The idea of this was, that if you eliminate the entire opposite team, you will always be able to return that flag (unless you jump into voids and stuff). But to prevent douchebags breaking games by not capping, they just instantly gave away the points for a cap.
    Perfectly makes sense to me.

Now this works both ways, you can be baiting yourself to the other team, but the other team, knowing of this strategy, can either buy it or not buy it.... It appalls me how people consider this just a game where you kill the enemy.. For god sakes, this is a strategy game as well as a FPS...
    Quote Originally Posted by KaasMan View Post
    So if the enemy is about to cap, you try to kill yourself, and your team will be rewarded. This does not make a lot of sense.
    The idea of this was, that if you eliminate the entire opposite team, you will always be able to return that flag (unless you jump into voids and stuff). But to prevent douchebags breaking games by not capping, they just instantly gave away the points for a cap.
    Perfectly makes sense to me.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    btw, someone already suggested this threads idea in the past.

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ack-amp-Defend

right there.

Why don't you read the post again?
    Quote Originally Posted by danstar View Post
    btw, someone already suggested this threads idea in the past.

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ack-amp-Defend

right there.

+ Reply to Thread