+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 89

Thread: QLPP15 Site Update - December 17, 2012

  1. #71
    Junior Member Shivait is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    return winter edge, new edge sucks.

  2. #72
    Junior Member Roztavovac is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    agree Shiviat

  3. #73
    Member General is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    79
    New Edge is way better. Visibility was lacking in christmas edge, lake was froze over, like the shortcut portal to rail, mega room was cleaned up quite a bit.

    Dynamics are different than q2's (some jumps seem impossible), but it's not q2. I like the new textures, overall, it's a better map.

    Personally, I can do without the Christmas tree, I got one of those in my house.

  4. #74
    Senior Member Smilecythe is on a distinguished road Smilecythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    163
    I hated the Christmas edge, the ice and the distracting lights. It was funny to see it again, but I'm glad there's something new this year.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 12-21-2012 at 02:37 PM.

  5. #75
    *N0ob_4ever
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by _HAMMERTIME_ View Post
    q2dm1... q2dm8...
    I had to read that update twice because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me! Sounds incredible! Now those maps would be complete if you added/changed the following:
    - hand grenades: pretty simple addition asset-wise - just use the old sounds from Q2 and just a simple grenade model needed.
    - BFG: Q3/QL BFG is terrible. Bring back the original and best Q2/Doom style BFG... lasers ftw!
    - Q2 tiered armor: PQL/QW tiers doesn 't feel right. Q2 tiers let you double-stack and gave less protection for energy weapons (ie: gauntlet, plasmagun, BFG)

    3 simple changes there. A few hours of coding really, and it'd add a ton of value to those maps and any future Q2 maps. Good work devs!

    Im not noob 4 ever anymore, we have here another winner

  6. #76
    Banned TheMuffinMan86 will become famous soon enough TheMuffinMan86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    If you want to play q2 go play q2, though you are right that if there's a RA on q2dm1 (haven't tested the "new" version yet) that should be removed asap. It's obvious that's to make it q2dm1 q4-like, that version was more suited for tdm than anything else, but it simply won't work in QL.
    Well if we're applying that logic then why did people create and play CPMA in Q3 instead of playing Q1/QW? Why did they add these 2 Q2 maps if we can just go play them in Q2? Why add PQL when there's CPM and QW? Etc, etc.

  7. #77
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan86 View Post
    Well if we're applying that logic then why did people create and play CPMA in Q3 instead of playing Q1/QW? Why did they add these 2 Q2 maps if we can just go play them in Q2? Why add PQL when there's CPM and QW? Etc, etc.
    CPM (cpma is a mod, cpm is the gametype) is much different than QW. TBH that's one of the silliest comparisons I have read in years.
    Actually Q1 is much different than QW itself, and PQL is a bad cpm copy that shows all the details matter (but you can't understand that being a noob...that's banned from ql but can still post here for some reason).

    It's the nostalgia factor, but gameplay and the actual map versions differ so much that it's not the same by any means whatsoever. q2dm1 on q2 is a whole different game than playing q2dm1 on ql or q4.
    Last edited by megaman3; 12-26-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

  8. #78
    Banned TheMuffinMan86 will become famous soon enough TheMuffinMan86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,204
    Mega, CPMA was an attempt to bring QW gameplay into Q3. Just because they failed dismally in doing so it doesn't detract from their motive. Since nowhere in that sentence in my previous post did I refer specifically to physics or so-called gametypes (which is also incorrect on your part) but rather hinted at overall gameplay, CPMA is the correct term to use, not CPM. Being anally technical doesn't do you any good.

    PQL may be 'bad', but it's also your opinion which proves nothing. It's blatantly obvious what PQL aimed to be.

    With remakes, nobody's looking for gameplay that is exactly the same. Minor differences are generally accepted but it's always possible to replicate the general gameplay. Unfortunately by taking a closer look at this dm1 I realize now that this remake has some significant flaws... but they can be fixed.

    Going back to the original argument, the changes I proposed wouldn't suddenly make QL become Q2... there are obviously many other differences between the games. What's the problem with adding such simple additions to the game?

  9. #79
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,201
    Due to the game's particularities the only proper way to play q2dm1 is on q2, no matter how good or bad the remake is. It really has lots of aspects that make it unique compared to all other fps games, therefore at the end of the day working on achieving 100/100 q2dm1 on ql is a waste of time and money.
    Sure the ql version can be improved, or just use winters edge or ospdm1 as those are miles better, but it still will be like playing dm6 on ut3 (awful).

    As for cpma, you were clearly referring to the cpm gametype since vanilla cpma and other gametypes (that aren't related to cpm) are essentially vanilla q3, not qw by any means whatsoever.
    Last edited by SyncError; 12-27-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

  10. #80
    Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kepler-22b
    Posts
    8,667
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    Due to the game's particularities the only proper way to play q2dm1 is on q2, no matter how good or bad the remake is. It really has lots of aspects that make it unique compared to all other fps games, therefore at the end of the day working on achieving 100/100 q2dm1 on ql is a waste of time and money.
    Sure the ql version can be improved, or just use winters edge or ospdm1 as those are miles better, but it still will be like playing dm6 on ut3 (awful).
    I disagree completely. Ztn and Aerowalk are proof that it can be done, sometimes leading to invaluable contributions.

    The players who want the edge aren't looking for q2dm1 as it is in q2, they are looking for a version of it for QL to be enjoyed with QL's gameplay. It isn't guaranteed to come out terrible at all. It's madness not to consider great ideas from the past in any modern endeavor.
    Last edited by SyncError; 12-27-2012 at 07:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts