+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audible signals for CTF/Freeze too similar imo.

*0r4d4r

Audible signals for CTF/Freeze too similar imo.

The noises for flag cap, flag loss, flag return, freezed teammate, thawed teammate, freezed enemy and thawed enemy, although very different, are not always noticeable mid ctf.

Also something similar to a repetitive timer every 10 seconds if your flag is gone, to possibly give you a chance to realize you are aware.
    I am not sure how embedded the sound code is, but I get into the game at times, and totally miss the noise, mistake it for a noise it is not, or just ignore it cause they are similar enough. Making flag assist or flag defend overly clear audibly I think is a good ( maybe easy to implement ) idea.

I <3 QuakeLive 2012. Winters Edge. Get Ramped.

Senior Member JDB_ is on a distinguished road JDB_'s Avatar
    When a flag is returned the announcer announces it, when someone is thawed there's no announcer, not too hard to tell the difference.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0r4d4r View Post
    Also something similar to a repetitive timer every 10 seconds if your flag is gone, to possibly give you a chance to realize you are aware.
    The default HUD has a blinking region for when your flag is gone. Custom huds with more visual queues abound. I really wouldn't want a noise distracting things -- in tight games, it's not uncommon for the flags to be held for quite some time in the opposite bases.

Except for 1-flag where the sounds are reversed, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. All the sounds are pretty distinct once you've played a few games.

*0r4d4r
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    The default HUD has a blinking region for when your flag is gone. Custom huds with more visual queues abound. I really wouldn't want a noise distracting things -- in tight games, it's not uncommon for the flags to be held for quite some time in the opposite bases.

Except for 1-flag where the sounds are reversed, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. All the sounds are pretty distinct once you've played a few games.
    I think they sound different, but in a mode like iCTF where flag caps and returns can happen fast, and be mildly delayed piled up, they don't distinctly signal my mind about the state of flag safety.
    I suppose I expect the noise for 'enemy has your flag' sound to be more alerting or alarming. When I am trying to strafe and rail my way out of base I tend to tune out noise because of all the jumps, item clicks and taunts. I get what your saying about extra noise being a negative. Maybe a delayed repeat. There are times where I forget all about flag state because visual cue doesn't grab my attention and I haven't heard a 'enemy has ur flag' noise in a while.
    Surprised custom noises aren't available.

I'm not saying they aren't good enough. Just wouldn't mind more difference.

I guess the visual cues don't get my attention for w/e reason. I will look more into what options I have. Thx

+ Reply to Thread