Complete Beginner - Need help downloading Custom Maps
As the title says, I'm brand new to Quake Live. I'm very into map design and came across some pictures of a certain Quake map called Sparth by Nunuk. It really interested me, and I wanted to check it out in game so I decided to get Quake Live, but I don't have the slightest clue on how to get this map and play some games on it. Don't even know where to start... Could anyone help?
Thanks so much guys.
First of all, you should know that you won't be able to play it online. However, here are the steps to start it locally :
1. Download it.
2. Transfer it to .../quakelive/baseq3 (see this to find out where that /quakelive/ is : http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ull=1#post5675).
3. Set it to read-only (otherwise QL will delete it).
4. Copy its name.
5. Log in QuakeLive and join a server.
6. Open the console (Ctrl-Alt-ThatKeyOverTab).
7. Enter the line "/map NameOfTheCustomMap".
Alternatively for 7, you can use /devmap to enable cheats. You can also instead of 6 and 7 spawn a practice match and "/callvote map NameOfTheCustomMap", I believe (or just use the user interface).